Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla's parts and service policies violate state and federal consumer protection laws?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know If Tesla still actively blacklist salvaged cars when owners take them for repairs (disabling autopilot, supercharging and updates) and at the same time refuse to work on them? Have their been any advance in being able to use Tesla's diagnostic software similar to forscan, techstream or multiecuscan. I know they still refuse to sell parts and that is a primary contributor to the high cost of repairs for Tesla vehicles. Seriously considering buying a salvaged autopilot 2.0 Model S.

Does anyone know If Tesla still actively blacklist salvaged cars when owners take them for repairs (disabling autopilot, supercharging and updates) and at the same time refuse to work on them? Have their been any advance in being able to use Tesla's diagnostic software similar to forscan, techstream or multiecuscan. I know they still refuse to sell parts and that is a primary contributor to the high cost of repairs for Tesla vehicles. Seriously considering buying a salvaged autopilot 2.0 Model S.

They freely sell non-restricted parts even to salvage vehicle owners. (The same as any Tesla owner can buy.)

There have been changes to their Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle policy. So they will now work on them, but if you want work on the HV system you have to pay for, and pass, a HV inspection first. (Which costs ~$500.) I think that inspection gets updates turned back on for your car as well.

They still disable Supercharging, and CHAdeMO charging, if they find out a vehicle has a salvage title. (Regardless of if you take it to them for repairs or not.)

I have never heard of them disabling Autopilot.

The problem is that if you buy certain new parts (radar, rcm), they have to be married to the cars system via Tesla toolbox. And there is no way for the average Joe to do so. Getting toolbox is one hurdle, and then you would need the appropriate cabling.

The problem is that if you buy certain new parts (radar, rcm), they have to be married to the cars system via Tesla toolbox. And there is no way for the average Joe to do so. Getting toolbox is one hurdle, and then you would need the appropriate cabling.

Cabling is the easy part. Toolbox communicates to the car primarily over Ethernet (using a 4pin HSD connector for model S/X). They use a PCAN USB to connect to various CAN buses for a few specific other things, and use a TI Bluetooth dongle to do some key programming.

What you really need though is valid tesla login credentials, so that you talk to Tesla's servers and do things like unlock the diagnostic port to talk to the car (MCU1), or generate a valid signed JWT login to authenticate with ODIN (MCU2, model 3 ICE)... Without those, you can't really do anything.

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay and Pursual