Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the 2021+ Model S have a HEPA filter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrandonLive

MS LR (refresh) Blue/Black/21s/FSD
Sep 24, 2018
Seattle
I’ve been wondering this for a while. The cars have “Bioweapon Defense Mode”, but in the Tesla shop the replacement air filter they sell for the 2021+ Model S (“refreshed” / “Palladium”) is a small $34 filter which seems to be pretty basic.

Is the large HEPA filter a separate thing? Or is it no longer included in the latest generation S?

Here’s the replacement filter listing:

I have a '17 100D. How often should the large Hepa filter be replaced? Also are they available aftermarket? Mobile service told me they run about $200.
I change mine every 2 years, however with the forest fires in the Bay Area, I had it changed in 2000, 2001 and 2002 as it was working overtime. I just place a request through mobile service and have them do it in my driveway.

The service interval is 3 years for the large HEPA filter and for the cabin filter. pre 2021+ models recommend changing cabin filter every 2 years.. Of course, YMMV.

Recommended Maintenance Service

Cabin Air Filter​

Your Tesla vehicle is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. We recommend the following cabin air filter replacement schedule:
Model 3
Model Y
Replace your cabin air filter every 2 years.
Model S
Model X
Replace your cabin air filter every 3 years.*
*For Model S and Model X vehicles produced in 2012-2020, we recommend replacing the cabin air filter every 2 years.

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter​

If your Tesla vehicle is equipped with a HEPA filter, we recommend replacing it every 3 years.

We love how the HEPA filter in our X eliminates the normal smells going past the stockyards and cattle ranches. Also mostly eliminates the diesel smell from trucks in front of us.

If you suffer from alergies, the fiter will remove pollen and allow you to travel more comfortably. No more runny eyes and drippy noses:)

In cabin air filters help this some, but not near as effective as the huge HEPA filter.

Tesla replacement filter also competitvely priced with the less effective aftermarket offerings.

Reactions: Art VandeIay