Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does the 60 to 75 upgrade include the faster software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wondering, I have an S60 (not dual motor) , if i upgrade to 75 does that get me the software update that elon says makes the car 1 sec faster? Or does it have to have the dual motors for that

There is a hardware component (faster motors) to the faster 1s. From what we know to date, only cars built after June 19th 2017 have the upgraded motor to allow for the faster times. Older cars look to be SOL.

Reactions: selfbp
The new drive unit is not required. It is just coincidental here in the US. Also new drive units started at least as early as 15 June. 19 June is the date you automatically get uncorked. If the rumors about older inventory cars getting the performance update to be resold turn out to be true then it may be that other older cars end up getting the performance update as well. Technically it is possible for minimal expense. Whether the goodwill created out weighs the hassle to Tesla and warranty liability is undetermined.

It is unlikely that there were any S60s produced after 19 June. My car was originally ordered as a 60 the day before they were discontinued, with a requested late (July) delivery, and it was produced on first known day of DU00 drive units on 15 June.

But the question of an enhanced performance 60 is a good one. There could be a unicorn 60 or two also requested for late delivery that ended up with the new drive unit and weren't upgraded to 75s before delivery. Even odds these cars would get uncorked eventually. I bet the owners wouldn't even know they had the new drive unit.

Last edited:
The new drive unit is not required. It is just coincidental here in the US. Also new drive units started at least as early as 15 June. 19 June is the date you automatically get uncorked. If the rumors about older inventory cars getting the performance update to be resold turn out to be true then it may be that other older cars end up getting the performance update as well. Technically it is possible for minimal expense. Whether the goodwill created out weighs the hassle to Tesla and warranty liability is undetermined.

It is unlikely that there were any S60s produced after 19 June. My car was originally ordered as a 60 the day before they were discontinued, with a requested late (July) delivery, and it was produced on first known day of DU00 drive units on 15 June.

But the question of an enhanced performance 60 is a good one. There could be a unicorn 60 or two also requested for late delivery that ended up with the new drive unit and weren't upgraded to 75s before delivery. Even odds these cars would get uncorked eventually. I bet the owners wouldn't even know they had the new drive unit.
I hadn't heard rumours that the older 60/75 cars could be just software updated for increased performance.
Do you have any links? Was it on this forum?
I have a 75D and would pay for a performance boost...

I hadn't heard rumours that the older 60/75 cars could be just software updated for increased performance.
Do you have any links? Was it on this forum?
I have a 75D and would pay for a performance boost...
If you have Jason Hughes like skill and you don't mind breaking your warranty it can and likely has been done.

Tesla does not have a button to do so in "My Tesla" if that is what you mean. And unless your car took a trip to the service center for some other reason I don't think it could happen that way. It appears that the inverter firmware or battery firmware might be the only "uncorking" update. Especially on newer cars if the switch to software changeable fuses is correct.

I think many would pay for the performance boost. Tesla might decide to take that money to offset the hassle and the warranty liability they would take on. Right now though there is some chance they haven't finished including it to some complimentary. And some chance they just haven't finished deciding where to draw the line. I am certainly in the grey area.

Last edited:
Doubt it. I received an S75 in mid-June, and noticed a small performance bump when that software update came out. I swapped it for a new S75 in September, and it was wayyy faster. So I think you need the new electric motor. (Or firmware, or whatever was changed in the hardware). You might get a small performance bump though with strictly software.

Doubt it. I received an S75 in mid-June, and noticed a small performance bump when that software update came out. I swapped it for a new S75 in September, and it was wayyy faster. So I think you need the new electric motor. (Or firmware, or whatever was changed in the hardware). You might get a small performance bump though with strictly software.
Just firmware, which is software, on the Ds. Was your new S75 a RWD and if so was it manufactured recently? I don't know that we have seen an inventory RWD get uncorked (by a member) to inquire about what else is involved. This one pre DU01 shows 5.4 as do the later models in inventory.

Last edited: