Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the "aero" design in the 18 wheels add any range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I factor I do not see mentioned is the resistance to damage to potholes or rough transitions. The 18s would be much better in this regard. In fact 17s would be more desirable. Taller sidewalls give greater impact resistance. And in a car with no spare you want to maximize impact resistance. (this is not necessarily true but it is for wheel/tire combos that are the same rolling diameter.)

I also fall into the minority as I think the aero 18 inch wheels are much better looking than the 19s because the 19s look like every other sports sedan wheels.

I factor I do not see mentioned is the resistance to damage to potholes or rough transitions. The 18s would be much better in this regard. In fact 17s would be more desirable. Taller sidewalls give greater impact resistance. And in a car with no spare you want to maximize impact resistance. (this is not necessarily true but it is for wheel/tire combos that are the same rolling diameter.)

I also fall into the minority as I think the aero 18 inch wheels are much better looking than the 19s because the 19s look like every other sports sedan wheels.

Not bad on Midnight Silver Metallic :cool:

IMG_6947.JPG

That would be what, about an extra 10 miles on the larger battery 3?

@DrivingTheFuture No, I'm sure the 310 mile range on the larger battery version is with the 18" Aero wheels.

And I think the 3% increase in the Model S was for wheels that were the same size, with the same tires. So the difference is probably higher going to the 19" sport wheels with sport tires. So I'm guessing that there is a 7% increase in range, meaning the long range Model 3 with the sport wheel package would get about 290 miles of range.

I'm going to have to see these things in person. I want 18" wheels for the improved ride and more rubber under me. If what I saw was in fact these Aeros, I can't imagine having those on my car, no matter how much range improvement it gives. I guess I could go out and buy rims after I buy my M3, but that could get pricey also. There are some other issues I have but will put them on another thread.

I feel like everyone is forgetting that the base 18" aeros are covers that can be easily popped off to reveal the standard 18" alloy wheel underneath. I certainly will not be spending $1500 on the heavier "sport" 19's, but rather upgrading my aeros to aftermarket lightweight wheels and 265/35/19 tires on my performance Model 3 (assuming performance versions are still happening...). That way I can still swap the aeros on for a smoother, more efficient ride on road trips. Plus... call me crazy but I sort of like their uniqueness :cool:

I think what I will do is to turn the included (in my opinion not too good looking aero wheels) into my winter tires which are mandatory for about 5-6 months in Sweden anyway. Then I will buy custom tires for the summer half of the year where they will actually look good in decent weather. As the tires will get dirty with the rainy, bad condition roads etc it does make sense to utilize the slight improved aerodynamics in winter, especially since that is the time I will also do the most driving.

This makes the most sense to me, basically I get a free pair of winter tires I needed to buy anyway and a good looking pair of summer tires.

How much can the front wheel turn?

I was thinking the same thing ;)

One of the subtle things about Aptera's design was that most people just assumed that the front wheel pods were spaced so far out in order to gain stability. But as a delta trike you really don't need that wide of a wheel spread; the CG when braking / cornering is nearly right between the front wheels, and thus has almost the same stability as a 4-wheel car (plus, as an EV, it had a low CG). If you look at any of the more overhead shots, it became clear that you had to have the wheel pods that far out so that they didn't hit the nose on tight turns. :)

Front wheel skirts are trickier than rear because front wheels steer.

Reactions: Kacey Green
No, I'm sure the 310 mile range on the larger battery version is with the 18" Aero wheels

THIS. I think all of the ranges given (220 and 310) are with the aero covers since they are the standard equipment. So the real question for the title of this thread should be how much range will be lost by not going with the aero wheels

I feel like everyone is forgetting that the base 18" aeros are covers that can be easily popped off to reveal the standard 18" alloy wheel underneath. I certainly will not be spending $1500 on the heavier "sport" 19's, but rather upgrading my aeros to aftermarket lightweight wheels and 265/35/19 tires on my performance Model 3 (assuming performance versions are still happening...). That way I can still swap the aeros on for a smoother, more efficient ride on road trips. Plus... call me crazy but I sort of like their uniqueness :cool:

I did not know this. Definitely getting the 18's then:). Do you know how easy they are to get on/off? I could not find anything in my initial search.

Reactions: Skotty