Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the autopilot "learn" a new alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, might be a silly question.
But here goes: I had KW V3 put on the car (did it my self). And the car was very good after that.
Then I lowered it and it drive straight. So then I ordered an alignment at a shop that specializes in EVs.

So they did several adjustments but found the car to pull right.
I got the car back and did a test drive and it was in deed pulling hard right, it was like if I let go of the wheel on a new/even road, it would maybe have used 3 seconds to move the car 50cm to the right.

So this wasent very good and I didnt understand why, they say the numbers were within spec.
So I started reading online and someone on reddit claimed autopilot needs to relearn the roads after an alignment.

Then I drove some more to test and I drove in autopilot, without autopilot, I also drove a bit "hard" with braking/accelleration.
After maybe 1-2 hours, it now doesent pull right anymore..

So my question is: does anyone know if the car somehow calibrates?
I have before thought about that the car was incredibly stable even on bad roads, so it didnt "track".
So I had a theory maybe Autopilot helps keeping the car driving straight on bad tarmac? But then maybe the new alignment made that learning go "off", but it relearned it?

I am thinking maybe the fix for pulling right happened when I chose a different set of wheels in the menu (as I needed to pair my TPMS after changing wheels). PS: there was nothing wrong with the other wheels :) So I know it started pulling right after the alignment.

The only "calibration" AP ever goes through is when the system first comes online for the cameras to calibrate, before which you can't use AP at all, and after which you can.

Individual cars never, ever, "learn" anything from any other behavior.

(it'd be a nightmare for them to troubleshoot problems if AP behavior varied between individual cars).

The only time AP behavior would change is from a pushed-to-the-car software (or map) update.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
@Knightshade just explained to you how AP works. you likely misunderstood the reddit post. if you can link the story here so others can read it, that would be great.

the fact your car stopped pulling to one side is not something any of us over the internet can say with any degree of certainty. you listed some other factors like changin wheels, etc and these things may have helped some, but AP aint looking at the roads and continuously "recalibrating" mate.

Hi, might be a silly question.
But here goes: I had KW V3 put on the car (did it my self). And the car was very good after that.
Then I lowered it and it drive straight. So then I ordered an alignment at a shop that specializes in EVs.

So they did several adjustments but found the car to pull right.
I got the car back and did a test drive and it was in deed pulling hard right, it was like if I let go of the wheel on a new/even road, it would maybe have used 3 seconds to move the car 50cm to the right.

So this wasent very good and I didnt understand why, they say the numbers were within spec.
So I started reading online and someone on reddit claimed autopilot needs to relearn the roads after an alignment.

Then I drove some more to test and I drove in autopilot, without autopilot, I also drove a bit "hard" with braking/accelleration.
After maybe 1-2 hours, it now doesent pull right anymore..

So my question is: does anyone know if the car somehow calibrates?
I have before thought about that the car was incredibly stable even on bad roads, so it didnt "track".
So I had a theory maybe Autopilot helps keeping the car driving straight on bad tarmac? But then maybe the new alignment made that learning go "off", but it relearned it?

I am thinking maybe the fix for pulling right happened when I chose a different set of wheels in the menu (as I needed to pair my TPMS after changing wheels). PS: there was nothing wrong with the other wheels :) So I know it started pulling right after the alignment.

It will auto calibrate to a certain point. My guess is the shop you bright it to didn’t reset the SAS...and possibly the car auto calibrated it. Not 100% sure of course. The steering rack communicates with the SCCM. It tells the controller for the steering wheel what the steering angle degree is, etc...

I’ve heard that the car does some amount of compensation when it detects the driver’s putting in effort to keep it tracking straight. To what extent, I dunno. I also know that unless things are really screwed up, you’re fine taking your Tesla to any competent alignment shop.

Ask them for a printout of your specs if they’re so convinced everything is “right.”

Here is the printout.
After I changed wheels in the menu, it tracks 100% straight, evne on very bad roads. If I let go of wheel it will drive straight.
Before I set in the menu a new wheel, then it was tracking quite a lot to the right even on 100% new and flat roads.

Colum far right is adjusted values.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 14.29.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 14.29.01.png
    692 KB · Views: 198