Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the battery outer case get very hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi:
Does anyone know if the bottom of the Tesla battery case gets hot to the touch during use?

I am considering running a conduit to carry a dash cam wire from the rear view mirror to a camera on the rear bumper. I can take a super smooth route directly attached to the battery cover or a somewhat bumpier route along the underneath edge of the car. I’m planning to stick the conduit on with 3M double-sided automotive tape.

Bad idea? Might it work? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi:
Does anyone know if the bottom of the Tesla battery case gets hot to the touch during use?
I am considering running a conduit to carry a dash cam wire from the rear view mirror to a camera on the rear bumper. I can take a super smooth route directly attached to the battery cover or a somewhat bumpier route along the underneath edge of the car. I’m planning to stick the conduit on with 3M double-sided automotive tape.
Bad idea? Might it work? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Other than the obvious why on earth do you want to do that?, it is really quite easy to route through or along the edge of the headliner, and then back down into the trunk cavity. No conduit required. That is how I installed my BlackVue. But now with the Dashcam features, including the new ability to play videos on the car big screen, from any of the four camera views provided, there really is very little need for any extra cameras. Dashcam was not available when I installed the Blackvue. I would not install it today.

• Love
Reactions: sacfan
You want to route that wire to the outside on the underside of the car?

You know that you already have a camera on the rear of the car right?
Yes.

Yes, but the view through the rear camera seems to episodically get covered by the music selection screen. If only there was someway that I could keep the music selection screen minimized at all times I’d be content with the existing rear camera.

Last edited:
Other than the obvious why on earth do you want to do that?, it is really quite easy to route through or along the edge of the headliner, and then back down into the trunk cavity. No conduit required. That is how I installed my BlackVue. But now with the Dashcam features, including the new ability to play videos on the car big screen, from any of the four camera views provided, there really is very little need for any extra cameras. Dashcam was not available when I installed the Blackvue. I would not install it today.

Yes, I feel comfortable getting the wiring to the trunk area. What I cannot figure out is how to get from the trunk to the outside of the car. I REALLY want is to put the rear camera either under the spoiler or above the license plate. I just don’t know how to get the wiring through the rear hatch to these areas. When I’ve tested the rear camera mounted at the top of the rear glass, looking through the tinted glass, there is a lot more glare and the image is just not as clear.

If it won’t melt, running the cable under the car should be very easy. Doing it this way I would likely attach the rear camera to the plastic toe hitch cover.

Thanks for your input!

Any other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks.
Jon

If you are using something like a Blackvue DR750, you can easily mount the rear camera inside the rear hatch and get perfectly fine pictures through the tinted windows. This way you can keep all of the wires internal to the car and not worry about running anything outside.
Dashcam 1.JPG
Dashcam 2.JPG

I think it's a really bad idea to run a cable via the underside/outside. Gonna get damaged fairly quickly if not well protected and well protected means something bulky.
Just run it via the liner and get it out in a place where existing cables go in/out (maybe make a small hole in a gasket, run wire through and seal that hole.

“Why on earth do you want to do that?”

I cannot see through the rear mirror- it is just too dark much of the time. I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the mirror - it is simply the tint in the rear glass - perhaps combined with a worsening cataract. I love the view through the rear camera to check my surroundings while driving, but it tends to be covered up by the darn music selection screen when I need it unexpectedly to see what’s coming up fast behind me or on my side.

As I explained to a friend who asked the same very reasonable question:
#1) We all instinctively look up to the rear view mirror to see what’s behind us. It’s become ingrained in me by 50 years of driving experience.
#2) the camera view can get hidden easily behind another screen - if it would always stay forefront the problem would be less.
#3) check blind spot on right, check blind spot on left, check the rear view mirror - strain to see if there’s anything there ... then check middle of the dash. By then it’s too late and I’ve got to start over.

It’s really my only significant complaint about my 2019 Model X (Raven).

All ideas will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

Jon

I think it's a really bad idea to run a cable via the underside/outside. Gonna get damaged fairly quickly if not well protected and well protected means something bulky.
Just run it via the liner and get it out in a place where existing cables go in/out (maybe make a small hole in a gasket, run wire through and seal that hole.
Thanks Electric Steve. This is EXACTLY what I’ve been trying to do but so far I can’t find a place where existing wires go through to the outside. I found a thick bundle on the floor of the trunk (on the left) last evening that I’ve got to look at more closely today. It was a very thick bundle that I was a bit intimidated by - worrying that they might be related to auto pilot.

I’d rather go through the rear hatch but the devil is in the details. How do I do that?

If you are using something like a Blackvue DR750, you can easily mount the rear camera inside the rear hatch and get perfectly fine pictures through the tinted windows. This way you can keep all of the wires internal to the car and not worry about running anything outside.View attachment 530748 View attachment 530749
Thanks for your input. It’s possible that your camera lens sits closer to and parallel to the glass. By the nature of the small bracket on my camera it looks through the glass at approximately a 45° angle. I’ll see if I can jury-rig something back there.

The pack is thermally managed, and should never exceed 50C or so. I doubt the outer casing ever gets much above the typical ambient temperature range.
50° C = 122” F. That’s probably about what the temp gets normally under the car on a hot summer day in Sacramento, CA. I’ll look into the specs for 3M tape to see how it tolerates this type of heat.

Thanks for your input.

UPDATE: “At 158°F (70°C) 0.5 in width tape exceeds 100 hours under static sheer test“

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...3615-03616-3m-super-strength-molding-tape.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Electric Steve. This is EXACTLY what I’ve been trying to do but so far I can’t find a place where existing wires go through to the outside. I found a thick bundle on the floor of the trunk (on the left) last evening that I’ve got to look at more closely today. It was a very thick bundle that I was a bit intimidated by - worrying that they might be related to auto pilot.

I’d rather go through the rear hatch but the devil is in the details. How do I do that?

These are the cables I see in the trunk. Anyone know what the “connectors” are for? I assumed for a trailer wiring but why are there two?

395397EE-36D2-4F81-93A2-D209FBB24314.jpeg
B2E01F4B-4291-4C51-9282-630B09709F56.jpeg
EA6996A8-E5A6-471D-AAA3-324D57CF1B54.jpeg
96910E02-5A93-4687-8A79-BC01E11159C3.jpeg
4C895B8B-759B-4DCA-B6AC-4FECBA6AA565.jpeg

Yes.

Yes, but the view through the rear camera seems to episodically get covered by the music selection screen. If only there was someway that I could keep the music selection screen minimized at all times I’d be content with the existing rear camera.
Just shift the camera screen up above the music screen--then no problem.

Just shift the camera screen up above the music screen--then no problem.
I always move it up, as I prefer the image higher up; plus I always keep the map minimized (which is too bad). But still the music selection screen covers it up in time. I really wish that there was some way to keep the music selection screen from enlarging to take up 2/3 of the real estate. I would much rather have the rear camera and map visible at all times, bringing up the music screen only when I specifically need it. I suspect that others would be very unhappy with that setup, however.

I always move it up, as I prefer the image higher up; plus I always keep the map minimized (which is too bad). But still the music selection screen covers it up in time. I really wish that there was some way to keep the music selection screen from enlarging to take up 2/3 of the real estate. I would much rather have the rear camera and map visible at all times, bringing up the music screen only when I specifically need it. I suspect that others would be very unhappy with that setup, however.
Really, I've never had that happen once I move it up. I sure miss the easy to use interface in the V6 release.

I really wish that there was some way to keep the music selection screen from enlarging to take up 2/3 of the real estate.
I am confused. Are you saying if you have your music screen off it will still show up automatically? And if you drag the top bar to lets say the bottom 1/5th of the display it will grow on you? Mine stays put wherever I set it.

I can have the music off or occupying the bottom 1/5 of the display, then the rear view camera above that and then the top bit of the map showing.

I am confused. Are you saying if you have your music screen off it will still show up automatically? And if you drag the top bar to lets say the bottom 1/5th of the display it will grow on you? Mine stays put wherever I set it.

I can have the music off or occupying the bottom 1/5 of the display, then the rear view camera above that and then the top bit of the map showing.
Yes, if I have the music/radio off I still see the music selection window occupying the lower 1/3-1/4 of the touch screen. I have NEVER been able to make it go away completely. If I drag the top edge of the music window down as low as it goes (so that it occupies perhaps the lower 1/5 of the screen), it DOES grow and ends up occupying 1/2 the screen real estate, minimum - obscuring the rear camera view in the process.

Is this NOT the functionality that others have? I would love to learn that this is a little glitch that can be fixed with a reboot or a service visit. It’s been this way since I got my Model X the end of September, 2019.

Thanks.

Jon

Last edited:
Yes, if I have the music/radio off I still see the music selection window occupying the lower 1/3-1/4 of the touch screen. I have NEVER been able to make it go away completely. If I drag the top edge of the music window down as low as it goes (so that it occupies perhaps the lower 1/5 of the screen), it DOES grow and ends up occupying 1/2 the screen real estate, minimum - obscuring the rear camera view in the process.

Is this NOT the functionality that others have? I would love to learn that this is a little glitch that can be fixed with a reboot or a service visit. It’s been this way since I got my Model X the end of September, 2019.

Thanks.

Jon
OK, everyone’s comments have really helped me a lot. Even though it’s almost midnight I climbed out of bed and went for a little drive.

I had never before realized that I could completely hide the music screen - I think that’s partly because I’m tall and want the rear camera view to be as close to the top of the touch screen as it will go. When I drag the camera view up towards the top, the music window comes along and occupies the lower 1/2 of the touch screen. There seems to be no way to have the camera view at the top without also having the music window occupying the lower 1/2 of the touchscreen.

When I touch the music window (eg to change the channel) the music window enlarges and completely covers the rear camera view. What I just learned now, though, is that a simple touch on the radio window toggles the camera view back on.

Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Please definitely let me know if I’m still “missing” something.

Jon

Attachments

• 6BEAE758-9421-435C-979E-53C2A2E61936.jpeg
    6BEAE758-9421-435C-979E-53C2A2E61936.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DE4C134E-5562-4F52-B943-C5FE3AFF963A.jpeg
    DE4C134E-5562-4F52-B943-C5FE3AFF963A.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 737EC510-A835-40D1-9044-EA90107317C5.jpeg
    737EC510-A835-40D1-9044-EA90107317C5.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 49
  • B802F17F-795D-4EA1-99F4-803BA04C968B.jpeg