Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the battery outer case get very hot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Please definitely let me know if I’m still “missing” something.
Of course the biggest hack is just touching the music icon toggles it's display.

Depend on the content you can do all sorts of other things with the display too. Using the bar at the top you can drag it up and down to 3 or 4 different sizes which you seem to understand.

Also try tapping on the album/song icon and the song title. When using USB music at least it auto sizes the screen and can even show you the album playlist or folder content depending on whats going on.

In short touch and stretch to your hearts content to see what magic lies beneath.:)

“Why on earth do you want to do that?”

I cannot see through the rear mirror- it is just too dark much of the time. I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the mirror - it is simply the tint in the rear glass - perhaps combined with a worsening cataract. I love the view through the rear camera to check my surroundings while driving, but it tends to be covered up by the darn music selection screen when I need it unexpectedly to see what’s coming up fast behind me or on my side.
Jon

How were you planning to display the image from the new camera? Were you going add a an additional display for your add-on camera? It would be very difficult (impossible) to replace the existing rear camera, since it is calibrated and tied in to the vehicle safety systems, rear proximity specifically.

Actually, maybe your rear view mirror has a problem, it is supposed to electronically adapt to varying light levels. Maybe yours is malfunctioning and dark all the time. I have never had a problem seeing through mine. Are you trying to look through polarized glasses?

How were you planning to display the image from the new camera? Were you going add a an additional display for your add-on camera? It would be very difficult (impossible) to replace the existing rear camera, since it is calibrated and tied in to the vehicle safety systems, rear proximity specifically.

Actually, maybe your rear view mirror has a problem, it is supposed to electronically adapt to varying light levels. Maybe yours is malfunctioning and dark all the time. I have never had a problem seeing through mine. Are you trying to look through polarized glasses?

The additional screen attaches to and replaces the function of the existing rear view mirror. It is really quite elegant.

https://www.amazon.com/DMYCO-Versio...=dmyco+2k&qid=1586622826&sprefix=Dmyco&sr=8-3

I too assumed that there was a problem with the mirror itself but replacing the mirror made no difference. Also, I compared looking at outside objects through the passenger side front window vs. the passenger side rear window and determined that the existing factory tinting likely accounts for my difficulty.

Taking everyone’s advice yesterday, I successfully installed my rear camera in about an hour’s time. I REALLY like the improved functionality.

I’m still trying to figure out how exactly to attach the power to the OBDII port for always on power so that I can get rid of the cigarette lighter plug-in that I currently use for power.

I too assumed that there was a problem with the mirror itself but replacing the mirror made no difference. Also, I compared looking at outside objects through the passenger side front window vs. the passenger side rear window and determined that the existing factory tinting likely accounts for my difficulty.

The mirror is tied in to the vehicle computer to use the ambient light sensors located elsewhere. Replacing the mirror alone, likely would not address any problem you might have had. The side view mirrors do the same thing and are tied in to the same sensor suite.

There is an always on 12V source above the OBD port (it is near the port, but is not the OBD port itself). It is a connector intended for a customer provided trailer brake controller. It is difficult to find and reach, but is there. it mates with the brake controller pigtail provide with the trailer hitch.

Glad it works for you.

Last edited:
The mirror is tied in to the vehicle computer to use the ambient light sensors located elsewhere. Replacing the mirror alone, likely would not address any problem you might have had. The side view mirrors do the same thing and are tied in to the same sensor suite.
Do we know for sure that the side view mirrors on the Ravens (2019) actually change with the ambient light? I’ve heard that both change, only the driver’s side changes, and that neither changes. I’ve never noticed mine behaving differently depending on the amount of ambient light. Of course, that supports your hypothesis ... .

There is an always on 12V source above the OBD port (it is near the port, but is not the OBD port itself). It is a connector intended for a customer provided trailer brake controller. It is difficult to find and reach, but is there. it mates with the brake controller pigtail provide with the trailer hitch.

This is what I find wiring-wise under the carpet near the OBDII port. Can any of what I’m seeing be used to provide continuous power to my dash cam? Any specific advice would be greatly appreciated. Is it better to use these wires rather than just plugging into the OBDII port directly?

Attachments

• BA71D3BC-27CE-4F87-A5EB-0D38220E929D.jpeg
    BA71D3BC-27CE-4F87-A5EB-0D38220E929D.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 71D696AA-7C9C-4688-930E-60FA985F5D6D.jpeg
    71D696AA-7C9C-4688-930E-60FA985F5D6D.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 68F445DC-0885-47CE-BFA5-4E95CF71F996.jpeg
    68F445DC-0885-47CE-BFA5-4E95CF71F996.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 734EFC24-CAFD-4F73-A56C-C6D72ECD70EE.jpeg
    734EFC24-CAFD-4F73-A56C-C6D72ECD70EE.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 38
Hi @sacfan,

If that white connector you are picturing is for the trailer brake harness
it is good and fused for 15 Amps and is on continuous.

OBD2 usually pin or socket 16 is usually always on 12 Volt positive.
The drawback with the OBD2 pin 16 is that it's only fused for 5 Amps.

PS - I may have missed it in your discussion of wanting to get rid of the music display
the music display may be completely hidden by touching the music note on the bottom
of the display. It will return when you start the car next time...

Good luck,

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. I don’t really know what that white connector is for, that’s why I was asking. It’s also not real easy to access. I ended up just using an inexpensive OBDII connector with just pin 16 and I believe the pin for ground active. It works perfectly.

I will definitely check out pressing the musical note to hide the music display completely. That would be great. As it turns out, with my new rear view mirror webcam I really don’t have any need or desire to drive with the Tesla’s rear camera on any more. My new setup is PERFECT and now I can truly love my car unconditionally! Thanks to everybody for their help on my project.

This inexpensive rear view mirror dash cam works great, comes with fast, outstanding customer support, and is easy to install yourself.

DMYCO 10'' 2.5K Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera for Cars [GPS Version], Front and Rear View Dual Lens, Super Night Vision, Parking Assistance, Emergency Recording with Sony Starvis Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HF4RGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_f96PEbH07MA17