Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the car feel slower when the charge is low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice a significant difference in my car once I've dropped below 50% SOC.
P85, can confirm the car is not able to accelerate as quickly when the SOC is low. Yesterday my battery was at ~25% SOC (65 rated miles left) and right away I noticed the yellow triangle and dashed lines at the upper end of the real-time energy gauge, indicating limited acceleration. Full performance returned once I charged up to 90% again.

Yesterday my battery was at ~25% SOC (65 rated miles left) and right away I noticed the yellow triangle and dashed lines at the upper end of the real-time energy gauge, indicating limited acceleration.

Power limiting can and does occur without having the yellow line. In my experience at normal battery temps I need to be WAY low (like, under 3% SOC or something) to get the yellow limiting lines. Low temperatures are the thing that triggers the yellow power limiting lines for me.

Full performance returned once I charged up to 90% again.

Full performance is a bit of a grey area. Most reports suggest that you only get true "full" performance at or near 100% SOC.

Power limiting can and does occur without having the yellow line. In my experience at normal battery temps I need to be WAY low (like, under 3% SOC or something) to get the yellow limiting lines. Low temperatures are the thing that triggers the yellow power limiting lines for me.
I've noticed that too, but on the day in question the temperature was in the mid 60s (F), so not warm but not particularly cold either. What is considered a "low" temperature for the battery?

Full performance is a bit of a grey area. Most reports suggest that you only get true "full" performance at or near 100% SOC.
Yes, I can believe that. I've haven't noticed the car accelerate faster at 100% than it does at 90%, but then again I don't have any measurements or track runs comparing the two. What I did notice, as others here have pointed out, is the decrease in performance with lower SOC levels.

Agreed. That's been my experience in my S85.

The none performance 85 will crank out about 320KW all the way down to 25-30% or so. It's the one model that doesn't suffer in performance until you drop below that 25-30% threshold. The P85D Insane cranks out its max 1300 amps at all SOCs so the power drops as soon as the voltage starts to drop which it does, and progressively so, below 90%.

The S85 software limits power below the maximum capability of the battery at a full charge. As SOC drops and voltage drops, it raises current to keep the total power the same. Eventually, the voltage will drop to the point that the maximum current can longer maintain the software limited 320KW and at that point the S85 is limited by it's maximum current and it too will decline in power as SOC drops, but that doesn't happen until the 25-30% threshold.

The original 60, although none performance, also drops in power as it's starting voltage is far lower than the 85 packs so its maxing current from the very beginning like the performance models.

Last edited:
Did you watch your power indicator?

There's no difference in 'feeling' at any throttle/power level until you hit the power limit/ceiling. If you do a 3/4 throttle squirt from a stoplight for a few seconds but never go over 200kw, for instance, even if your 310kw P85 is limited to 250kw you wouldn't know it.