Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the charge port not open when car is in sleep with the UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you mean "while its plugged in", I found out just a few months ago (after about as long of an ownership period as you), that if you HOLD the button, it will actually wake up the car as well. "pushing" it doesnt, but holding the button in for a few seconds will, provided you have your phone as key with you at the time.

I have a wall connector, but the mobile connector should work the same way. Try it and let us know.

If you mean "while its plugged in", I found out just a few months ago (after about as long of an ownership period as you), that if you HOLD the button, it will actually wake up the car as well. "pushing" it doesnt, but holding the button in for a few seconds will, provided you have your phone as key with you at the time.

I have a wall connector, but the mobile connector should work the same way. Try it and let us know.
I'm pretty sure I've held the button and it doesn't do anything, but I'll try again tomorrow.

My scenario is if I park my car and then come back at night to plug it in and charge, pressing the button on the UMC doesn't do anything to the charging door. I have to open the door of the car to wake it up and then it will open the charging door. Phone is with me.

I'm pretty sure I've held the button and it doesn't do anything, but I'll try again tomorrow.

My scenario is if I park my car and then come back at night to plug it in and charge, pressing the button on the UMC doesn't do anything to the charging door. I have to open the door of the car to wake it up and then it will open the charging door. Phone is with me.

Oh your right, in that scenario holding the button doesnt do anything different. Thats why I was differentiating from "while its plugged in".

This is probably a silly question having had the car for 3 years, but does clicking the button on the UMC not bring the car out of sleep mode and open the charge port? I have to open the door first and I don't remember if I had to before or not.
If the car is asleep and then you suddenly want to plug in your charging cable, the button on the cable will not wake up the car. You have to open the back door or use the app to wake the car first.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H