Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the door handle retract on anyone else when you try to open the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the drivers door wiring harness to the limit switch replaced and rerouted to keep it from breaking. When this small section of harness breaks, the handle presents but will not open when pulling on the handle. About and hour repair that can be done by a range in the field.

Currently my drivers door handle presents and immediately opens the door. Kind of a cool thing if you are near the car, but not so cool if I am not planning to enter the car. You may suggest to the service center that they pull the interior door panel off and see if the limit switches are correctly adjusted. There is a time-out for the handles to retract but that is not the issue here.

If the limit switches are correctly adjusted, then the door knows that once the handle is pulled it should send power to the door latch solenoid. Any automotive technician with basic electrical knowledge can diagnose this problem.

I just had this happen to me for the very first time and could not figure out why it was doing it. It was on the driver's side rear door and it kept going in and out each time I put my hand in to grab the handle. When I grabbed it and pulled, the door would not open at all, just kept trying to close the handle on my hand!

In the end, I just waited, walked away from the car until it cycled all the handles back in and walked back up to the car and the problem was solved.

That's the one, @MD500_Pilot. this happened to me in the 3rd year of ownership. and is getting more frequent, almost every morning on my rear driver side door when I try to get my bag after I have parked the car.

My hunch is that this might have something to do with the outside temperature. Just a guess.

On the other hand, there is a voice inside of me saying "Please break, please break". :):):)