Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the door handle retract on anyone else when you try to open the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This happens to me when opening the rear doors frequently, as often as a few times per day. At least 50% of the time. I've had the car in for this issue since the car was new, and it's been on the list every time I bring the car in so they've had it many times but always say that they cannot replicate the issue, so they haven't fixed it. It drives me insane, to be honest. It's annoying to know that every time I try to get my kid out of the car, it's a coin flip whether the handle will close on my hand or actually open the door.

The description of the issue: I exit the front seat, and go to open either of the rear doors. The handle instead slowly closes on my hand (the motor runs slowly and sounds strained usually) and then immediately pops back out, and then operates normally, so when I pull on it again, it opens the door.

I just picked up my car from the Denver service center, now completing the fifth time the vehicle has been in with this problem listed on the service order.

I was told that this behvavior is normal vehicle operation. Pulling the handle, and instead of the door opening, but the handle retracting, I was told, is normal. I'm just ... I don't know what to say. The service manager stood there while the tech explained this to me, and I said that couldn't possibly be true. They said it was normal, the handles retract after a timeout period. I said, "Five seconds, while I'm standing there at the rear door, key fob in hand..."

I said this is clearly a bug, a defect, and we need to figure this out, whether that means communicating with corporate so they can work on it, but they said no, I'm wrong. It's normal. It's the "way the car is designed and nothing is wrong."

i had this problem intermittently. i ended up turning off auto present because i hates the handles always presenting when i walked by the car and i haven't had it happen since then.

it didn't happen enough for me to try to solve it but this may be a workaround if it drives you nuts.

Now after my service visit I find that they must have adjusted something because both rear handles never open with the first pull. They require repeated pulls to operate. Considering my kids are in this car when I'm operating the rear door handles, this is now a serious safety issue. And the Denver service center doesn't seem to care.

This is after the tech told me everything was working as normal, and they couldn't find any problems. With the service manager standing there not saying a word.

WTF do I do here? I've tried what will now be 6 times in 19 months to get this fixed. Is there anyone from corporate on this forum that reads this stuff?

Last edited:
This happens on my driver door but its always after its been sitting a while and I walk up to the car. I had Tesla look at it tuesday and they couldn't reproduce it, now its happened 3 more times since then. Seems to be getting worse, I'm guessing one day it won't open and they will replace it...

This happens to me inconsistently. I don't have the tech package, so no auto present. Not normal behavior. It's not a timeout because only the handle I tug retracts (not all 4); and only when trying to open the door. Very rarely my driver's door handle will do this. I'm way past warranty so I'm going to put up with it.

This happened to me regularly on my 2013. The pattern I noticed is I would get out of the driver's seat after parking and immediately go to open the rear driver's side door (to get my laptop case) and this would happen.

I had to keep bugging Tesla about it through multiple service visits over more than a year. Eventually they replaced that rear handle and everything was fine.

I can assure you it is not normal and do not take NO for an answer.

Good luck.

I just picked up my car from the Denver service center, now completing the fifth time the vehicle has been in with this problem listed on the service order.

I was told that this behvavior is normal vehicle operation. Pulling the handle, and instead of the door opening, but the handle retracting, I was told, is normal. I'm just ... I don't know what to say. The service manager stood there while the tech explained this to me, and I said that couldn't possibly be true. They said it was normal, the handles retract after a timeout period. I said, "Five seconds, while I'm standing there at the rear door, key fob in hand..."

I said this is clearly a bug, a defect, and we need to figure this out, whether that means communicating with corporate so they can work on it, but they said no, I'm wrong. It's normal. It's the "way the car is designed and nothing is wrong."

I can't believe the service center keeps telling you this crap is normal. I hate how they do that. Last time when I brought my car into service and they told me that it was normal too! WTF is with Tesla's servicemen. I hope you get this fixed. It is definitely not normal operations.

This happens on my driver door but its always after its been sitting a while and I walk up to the car. I had Tesla look at it tuesday and they couldn't reproduce it, now its happened 3 more times since then. Seems to be getting worse, I'm guessing one day it won't open and they will replace it...

Mine does exactly the same. Basically you have to make sure you open quickly after the door handles come out. Except so far, mine doesn't seem to be getting worse.

I'd really like to see Tesla reengineer the door handle completely and offer existing owners a replacement.
I'd rather have a reliable door handle than this cool factor.

I feel you... I had the misfortune of visiting the Denver service center last year when I blew out a tire in Denver. They were all jerks there. I am so glad I don't have to deal with them on a regular basis. The KC team is great, though ... I love our local service center here in Kansas City. It's a night and day difference. They always fix any problem, and even ones I don't notice, they will adjust and fix when the car is in for service.

Just a side note - as far as I know, you can't push the rear handles to get them to present. Only the front handles. This is by design I believe.

I had this exact same issue. My drivers door handle would occasionally retract right when I unlocked the car and pulled on the handle, and then promptly re-extend.

Tesla Service sent a ranger and replaced the offending door handle no questions asked. Definitely call Tesla Service, and escalate it to regional managers if you have to.

you can't push the rear handles to get them to present. Only the front handles.
You can push the rear handles to get them to extend, as long as the car is unlocked.

Exacty the same for me (read door driver side, 2015 model S). SC told me the normal behaviour but quite annoying to have the door close on your hand almost every time you want to open it... (I don't know for the other side as I rarely use it and not right after going out of the car)

This makes me sick to my stomach as my front passenger door has done this intermittently since day 1. On every single service I listed it as an issue and every single time they said "can't reproduce". Hell I kept a f'ng LOG of when it did it and provided them exact dates and times at their request and they didn't fix it. Now my car is out of warranty and no I didn't get the EW so I highly doubt they'll replace on Goodwill once it finally gives up the ghost. Infuriating...

I'm having this issue now. E-mailed service center. I don't expect any reply. but going to wait a bit longer before making an appointment so they can "reproduce" it.

I'm hoping all my door handles broke before the warranty runs out. Can someone tell me what is wrong with this picture or what is wrong with me? ;);):(:(