Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the energy graph tell you this was a fun drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
The road I usually take had delays for paving, so I took the scenic route - a winding canyon road a few miles northwest of Golden, CO.
Near the start, temp was 68F at about 9300 ft. 30 minutes later, near the end of the road, it was 86F at about 5700 ft ASL. This was mid-afternoon, so temp variation was strictly altitude-related. Passed a white Ferrari going in the other direction.

energy.jpg

Just seeing the title, I was thinking this thread would be the exact opposite. I was going to point out that one person's definition of fun could be totally different from another's. Many on here boast about the HUGE amounts of energy they are able to expend...but as a hypermiler, my idea of fun is to use the least amount possible. :) Looks like you had the same idea, at least on that drive down the canyon. ;-) Was that highway 6 by any chance? Hopefully I'll be testing my own Tesla's efficiency along that route within a few months.

Currently when we come back from Black Hawk, we take highway 6 back and my friend's hybrid gets similar insane mileage numbers as he pretty much coasts and regens the entire way.

Looks like more regen than acceleration to me. Only 26Wh/mile......Where's the fun in that?
There were lots of hairpin curves and a number of uphills interspersed in the overall downhill that aren't picked up by the realitvely low resolution of the graph.

Was that highway 6 by any chance? Hopefully I'll be testing my own Tesla's efficiency along that route within a few months.
Currently when we come back from Black Hawk, we take highway 6 back and my friend's hybrid gets similar insane mileage numbers as he pretty much coasts and regens the entire way.
Hwy 6 is where the paving is occurring (into August). There are 15-20 minutes stops in alternating directions throughout the day. This is the next canyon north - Golden Gate Canyon Rd. I've also done the Nederland to Boulder drive on Cold Creek Canyon Road. Also a very scenic drive.

BTW, I should have taken the pic a few minutes earlier, as the 900 wh/mi spike is partially cut off. That was a left turn out of the Ameristar parking garage and a steep climb up to the Gilpin Co. gov't buildings.