Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Gateway cell modem support the Verizon network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Gateway cell modem support the Verizon network?
Also, how quick/seamless is the fallback if WiFi/Ethernet is the primary internet access and access is lost?
Thanks

I'm not sure what network it uses. I'm guessing that you won't care unless cell coverage is an issue where you're located.

Failover is basically instantaneous...I think when my gateway loses its WiFi connection it just switches to using the cell connection instead. You won't notice the difference from the app, and the Powerwall operation is unchanged. (I notice because I have a datalogger polling the gateway over the local WiFi.) Going back to WiFi appears to be much slower, it feels like my gateway only checks for the WiFi coming back up a few times a day.

Bruce.

AFAIK, Tesla uses AT&T for all cellular data in their vehicles and energy products. If you only have Verizon coverage at your location, you will probably have to provide either Ethernet (preferred) or WiFi networking for the Powerwall Gateway.

I can provide WiFi/Ethernet as long as the grid is up but my access point is not on a backed up circuit. I would need to add another branch/outlet to provide backup power to the access point. The Gateway will be too far from my house to receive WiFi from it.

I can provide WiFi/Ethernet as long as the grid is up but my access point is not on a backed up circuit. I would need to add another branch/outlet to provide backup power to the access point. The Gateway will be too far from my house to receive WiFi from it.
I would definitely recommend looking at ways of including your home internet/WiFi gear onto a backed-up circuit. Most consumer internet equipment use very little energy, so it shouldn't make a noticeable dent during an outage. That low usage is even further offset by your cell phones continuing to use WiFi instead of switching to a cellular network.

^^^^
Just to be clear, my house internet will be backed up but the Gateway will be mounted on an outbuilding that is too far from my house to receive WiFi. I have an access point in the outbuilding but the outbuilding is on separate feed conductors that won't be backed up.
I did finally manage to talk to someone at Tesla about my technical question. He thinks they should be able to move the branch circuit that currently powers the access point to the generation sub-panel that will be mounted on the outbuilding but he wasn't sure. Something about having a load coming out of a generation panel.

^^^^
Just to be clear, my house internet will be backed up but the Gateway will be mounted on an outbuilding that is too far from my house to receive WiFi. I have an access point in the outbuilding but the outbuilding is on separate feed conductors that won't be backed up.
I did finally manage to talk to someone at Tesla about my technical question. He thinks they should be able to move the branch circuit that currently powers the access point to the generation sub-panel that will be mounted on the outbuilding but he wasn't sure. Something about having a load coming out of a generation panel.
By code, it should not be a problem. I have some small load circuits in my Generation Panel.

I honestly don't know what the difference between a generation panel and a load panel is. I just know Tesla called it a generation panel in the design layout.
OK. I went back and looked at my plans. That is the panel that has the breakers for the Powerwalls in my system. Breakers are also scattered in the other panels depending on if they are backed up or not. And the PV breakers are in the backup panel.

In my case they are all adjacent.