Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Gen 3 HPWC require a blade disconnect / shut-off switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
I don't currently own a Tesla, but I plan on a CT down the road. I was trying to get a few quotes to get a Gen 3 HPWC (one that I already have purchased) installed in my home.

I got two quotes from local Northern California electricians that say they require a blade disconnect (like the one in my avatar pic) is placed within "line of sight" of the HPWC. Is this true? I see pictures of people's chargers all the time, and I don't see a blade disconnect nearby.

The quotes are borderline nutty; two electricians are hitting me with the "Tesla Tax" even though I don't actually own a Tesla and wanting about $2,800 for the work. They cite the blade disconnect as one of the highly expensive surprises I have to contend with for a Gen 3 HWPC. I don't need a new sub-panel and the conduit run is about 8 feet. The panel that the 60A breaker would go into is on the outside of the common garage wall that will hold the HPWC.

I already have 3 blade disconnects on my garage wall (one for each Powerwall). So all these blade disconnects are getting absolutely STUPID.

I got two quotes from local Northern California electricians that say they require a blade disconnect (like the one in my avatar pic) is placed within "line of sight" of the HPWC. Is this true? I see pictures of people's chargers all the time, and I don't see a blade disconnect nearby.
Nope, I am fairly certain that is not true. This has been discussed in several previous threads, and the requirement is only if the circuit is GREATER than 60A. Interestingly, the Canadian Electric Code does say at 60A or greater.

And even beyond that, the requirements for "a disconnecting means" does not mean it must be that separate box with a throw switch. As long as the breaker for the circuit is accessible, like not in a locked building or requiring you to get a ladder or something, that qualifies as the "disconnecting means".

Here are some threads about it: