Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the gov consider the day you put down $100 as your order date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If place an order for a MY but don't take delivery, do you guys know what does the gov consider as your purchase date?

My questions is, if the infrastructure bill passes with EV credit but it is not retroactive, can I delay my order until after the bill passes, or do they consider the day you put down the $100 as your order date?

Any insight would be much appreciated thanks.

Order Date = the day you placed an order and paid the $100 $250 order deposit with Tesla

Order Finalized Date = the day you completed your order by entering in your registration info, financing option, and insurance choice on your account. Then you'll start to see an EDD after that.

Purchase Date = the day you take delivery of your car and have paid for it, either in cash or with financing.

For any type of rebate, it usually goes off of your purchase date when you've actually taken possession of the item.

Reactions: Notadog
I believe you would pay the new, lower price but I am not certain. (Also, given the high demand for all Tesla vehicles and the rising cost of raw materials, chips etc. this scenario is unlikely.) I do know for certain that if Tesla changes the features on the vehicle, i.e. adds Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Model Y that you do not pay extra for the additional feature(s). When I ordered my Model Y back in 2019 Autopilot was a required option and cost $2000. By the time I took delivery of my Model Y in 2020 Autopilot was standard on all Tesla vehicles and I did not have to pay the $2000 for Autopilot as a required option.

What if they decrease the price of the Model Y between when I placed my order to when I take delivery? Will they honor the new lower price or am I locked in to the higher price?
Whatever the price was the day you out your deposit down is the price you pay! I don’t see MY going down in price while demand is so high. In fact the opposite. According to wayback last year at this time the MYLR was $46,900. So there’s that.

such rules almost always count the day you 'place the car into service', or in your case, the day you take it home.

The current EV tax credit law uses:
- date placed into service to determine the tax year in which you claim the credit.
- date from which you had legal title to the vehicle* (by state law, usually the purchase date, not the date the certificate of title was issued) to determine the amount of the credit.

Last edited:
Not without paying a fee to change, plus any price increases that may have taken place after your order was placed.
Is a change fee something new? I've never seen such a thing before. I had no fee when I changed my order, prior to delivery, and I haven't seen others mention a change fee.

The only thing I'm aware of: when you change your order, you pay the current cost of the car, whether it's gone up or down. And that includes both the car and software add-ons (e.g. FSD).

Is a change fee something new? I've never seen such a thing before. I had no fee when I changed my order, prior to delivery, and I haven't seen others mention a change fee.

The only thing I'm aware of: when you change your order, you pay the current cost of the car, whether it's gone up or down. And that includes both the car and software add-ons (e.g. FSD).
Not sure. Suggest you contact your Tesla SA. I believe you can change the color choices up until a VIN has been assigned. Not sure if you can change from a Long Range Model Y to a Performance Model Y etc. without having to place a new order.

Last edited:
Just spoke to a customer rep on chat:
  • He confirms that if the price goes down, I can take advantage of the lower price. If the price is higher, I will be locked in to the current price.
  • I can change the options and color with no charge penalty.
  • However, if I want to change the color but the price of the car has gone up, I will be locked on to the new higher price.
  • I can start getting in line the moment I put down the $250 deposit.

Knowing Tesla's customer service, I'm going to ask a couple more just to confirm that their actual policy.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Just spoke to a customer rep on chat:
  • He confirms that if the price goes down, I can take advantage of the lower price. If the price is higher, I will be locked in to the current price.
  • I can change the options and color with no charge penalty.
  • However, if I want to change the color but the price of the car has gone up, I will be locked on to the new higher price.
  • I can start getting in line the moment I put down the $250 deposit.

Knowing Tesla's customer service, I'm going to ask a couple more just to confirm that their actual policy.
This is how it's been. There hasn't been any change fees. As far as dealing with price drops: you typically have to send a request to get the price adjusted (but if you look on the various threads on this in the Y forum, you'll see that folks haven't had an issue getting pricing adjusted downward, as long as they haven't taken delivery yet).

As far as making changes: if you make any change to your configuration, your new price is the current published price of your new configuration.

Reactions: Notadog
This is how it's been. There hasn't been any change fees. As far as dealing with price drops: you typically have to send a request to get the price adjusted (but if you look on the various threads on this in the Y forum, you'll see that folks haven't had an issue getting pricing adjusted downward, as long as they haven't taken delivery yet).

As far as making changes: if you make any change to your configuration, your new price is the current published price of your new configuration.

Thanks, I have one more question. I would like to put in a deposit ASAP but I'm still shopping around for a loan. Can I select cash payment first for now, then later ask my sales rep to change it to a Tesla loan instead? Similarly, if the car price increases in the mean time, will changing from cash payment to loan payment lock me in to the higher price?

Thanks again.

The title paper usually lists the date of possession. That is the date that is counted by IRS for all taxes and rebates
depends when processed by the state. I took possession on 6/30/19 (weekend) but AZ didn't process till 7/1. Luckily I've kept my check paid on delivery in case I'm audited

I wish TSLA MVPA paperwork would show possession date vs just order date

Until the Bill is approved by both Senate and Congress, plus being signed into Law by the President, nothing is official.

Playing the "What if?" game will only be clear then.

Inflation and supply chain issues could change everything.

Right now I see people just happy to be taking delivery, and not driving themselves crazy trying to optimize every eventuality.

Order to delivery dates seem to be constantly increasing.