TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does the limited FREE supercharging apply to used cars?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by irvineboy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

If we buy a used Tesla, like a 2015 or 2016, etc, how does Tesla regulate the free supercharging 1000 miles a year? Or is it only for 2017 + cars produced after Jan 1, 2017?

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I don't think they can, that car was sold with "free supercharging for the life of the car"

• Helpful x 1
  3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Only new cars.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There are a few threads about this already. The current guidance seems to be that it is tied to the car - that used and CPO sales will retain their status with unlimited Supercharging if they had it before.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

#5 whitex, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    They can if they are the resellers (CPO cars). Just like they can take off 21" wheels and put on 19", add or remove RFS, or paint the car neon pink - whatever else they please since they own the car before selling it to you. Tesla already routinely changes options on CPO's, adding software battery upgrades and autopilot enablement to most CPO's that have the software upgrade option. Taking away supercharging is also just a software option, so no different. Of course whether they will want to do that, that we'll have wait and see (since it would make privately sold pre 2017 Tesla's more attractive if all CPO's had it removed).

What they cannot do is take it away from people who already own it and sell it as such without Tesla ever becoming the car owner in the process.

• Like x 1
  6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I assumed Op was specifically asking about private sales.

7. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Yes private used car sales

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Then no tesla cannot remove the free sc.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

They did say for "Current Owners". Someone who buys a used car after the first of the year is not a current owner. We will not know for sure until the official announcement is released.

10. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

#10 Sonny Daze, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    These changes will not impact current owners or any new Teslas ordered before January 1, 2017, as long as delivery is taken before April 1, 2017. (emphasis mine)

It is interesting that they chose to put the word "new" in that sentence. My impression is that most people think that CPOs will be grandfathered in, but that makes me question that. If so, what if a current owner buys a CPO? The wait continues...

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

But those cars were sold with free supercharging for the life of the car.
    If I'm selling that car, that's one option I'm using to justify my price, tesla has no control over the vehicle anymore, they can't just remove options I paid for just because I'm selling the car.
    Makes no sense.

Some people are reading way too much into the announcement as far as who it affects.

It's simple. If you order a new car from TESLA MOTORS after January 1st, you pay for supercharging, end of story.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. whitex

whitex Active Member

It's quite likely that this will happen, i.e. all the CPO's sold after 1/17 will not have unlimited supercharging. It's unlikely their price will go down, just like new cars are not likely to get cheaper without lifetime supercharging. Good news to private sellers of cars with unlimited supercharging I guess.

13. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

well, anything can be revoked with software upgrades.

14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Someone should Tweet Elon

15. outie

outie Active Member

You, since you personally Invited/Met + Reply from Elon Musk!

16. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

i asked my my local Tesla Store Manager and he said: "I do not have guidance yet on your question regarding CPO’s and Supercharging, I will look into it more and let you know what I find."

so who knows...

17. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I got 9 Tweet responses from him in the past so I will give it a shot. But he hasn't done a Tweet strom lately, probably busy working on something....

I met Elon 2 years ago at a fundraising event at a friend's/client's house. I definitely would meet him again if I had the opportunity.

18. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Not major features one paid for.

How would people feel if tesla took away the ability to open your sunroof? They don't want to deal with any issues under warranty so they will go ahead and disable the ability to open it via software update.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Beryl

Beryl Member

I'd like the unlimited charging to move with me, the owner, to any new Tesla I purchase in the future. Guess that plan wouldn't work as well for those who solely lease though.

• Like x 1
  20. dhcp

dhcp Member

I was thinking about this on the drive-in this morning.

If we are already seeing a lot of busy SCs given the existing fleet out there, especially here in California. Restricting future sales after January isn't going to do anything to help the existing charging problem.

However, if they say the unlimited charging only exists for the _original_ buyer after January as well, that would guarantee that the second-hand market would slowly age out all of those unlimited charge people and naturally thin the herd. This would completely make sense.

The only way you could "get around" that even in the personal sales market would be if you never transferred the warranty and registration to the new owner with Tesla, they would never be able to use the app and warranty issues could be messy and you would have to use the original owners name and info.

This would be a smart way for them to do it. But please make it only to used sales done after January 1st, not retroactive. Please. :)