Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the M3 need a Snow Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I just watched Bjorns latest video. He makes a good case that the M3 is not great in snow.
One of my reasons for getting the LR was that I thought it would be nice to have awd in bad conditions but based on this it doesn't seem optimised at all. The vast majority of the comments were in total agreement though not sure how many were from actual owners.
We don't get a lot of snow in most parts of the UK these days but for those who have driven an M3 in slippery conditions, particularly without winter tyres. How good or bad is it? I don't imagine the new high only re-gen settings on the 2021 M3 will help much either?

I just watched Bjorns latest video. He makes a good case that the M3 is not great in snow.
One of my reasons for getting the LR was that I thought it would be nice to have awd in bad conditions but based on this it doesn't seem optimised at all. The vast majority of the comments were in total agreement though not sure how many were from actual owners.
We don't get a lot of snow in most parts of the UK these days but for those who have driven an M3 in slippery conditions, particularly without winter tyres. How good or bad is it? I don't imagine the new high only re-gen settings on the 2021 M3 will help much either?

The snow that Bjorn and the North Americans are talking about is not typical winter for the UK. We don't have to leave the snow/ice in place and require drivers to use studded tyres. I can tell you that the RWD Model 3 drives extremely well in all UK winter conditions. If you are serious about it you are going to be using winter tyres even in the UK of course ... but tiptoeing around on your normal tyres like most people do here is certainly no worse than any other car in the UK in my opinion.

The snow that Bjorn and the North Americans are talking about is not typical winter for the UK. We don't have to leave the snow/ice in place and require drivers to use studded tyres. I can tell you that the RWD Model 3 drives extremely well in all UK winter conditions. If you are serious about it you are going to be using winter tyres even in the UK of course ... but tiptoeing around on your normal tyres like most people do here is certainly no worse than any other car in the UK in my opinion.
I have had winter tyres in the past but with the lack of decent winters and occasional days with the temp up to 20 in midwinter (which winter tyres REALLY don't like in my experience) I was looking to not bother this year. Especially since Covid has cut my miles by 70%. I have 2 sets of Autosocks if I (literally) get really stuck but i was hoping it would be better than average even on summer tyres due to the AWD. I have actually had it since November last year so I have already done a winter but there wasn't really any snow to speak of last year where I am so I still have that to look forward to.

I have had winter tyres in the past but with the lack of decent winters and occasional days with the temp up to 20 in midwinter (which winter tyres REALLY don't like in my experience) I was looking to not bother this year. Especially since Covid has cut my miles by 70%. I have 2 sets of Autosocks if I (literally) get really stuck but i was hoping it would be better than average even on summer tyres due to the AWD. I have actually had it since November last year so I have already done a winter but there wasn't really any snow to speak of last year where I am so I still have that to look forward to.

It would be interesting to have some feedback on how the cars perform on standard tyres in "UK snow" and slush conditions. I'll be surprised if anyone comes back with any unexpected horror stories. I've driven through many bad winters over the years in this country on standard tyres, starting back in the old Mini days, and through the decades in various front wheel drive cars. I never became inextricably stuck anywhere even though I used to be a bit of an adventurer and saw a fall of snow as a good reason (against all advice) to get out there and develop some, ahem ... skills... on untreated roads!? Last winter was the first year I decided to go with winter tyres because of the RWD SR+ and I've probably become a bit of a boring convert! The only bad things about winter tyres are initial cost and the reduced opportunities for enjoyable sliding around at non-life threatening speeds!

Reactions: OttoR and browellm
It would be interesting to have some feedback on how the cars perform on standard tyres in "UK snow" and slush conditions. I'll be surprised if anyone comes back with any unexpected horror stories. I've driven through many bad winters over the years in this country on standard tyres, starting back in the old Mini days, and through the decades in various front wheel drive cars. I never became inextricably stuck anywhere even though I used to be a bit of an adventurer and saw a fall of snow as a good reason (against all advice) to get out there and develop some, ahem ... skills... on untreated roads!? Last winter was the first year I decided to go with winter tyres because of the RWD SR+ and I've probably become a bit of a boring convert! The only bad things about winter tyres are initial cost and the reduced opportunities for enjoyable sliding around at non-life threatening speeds!
For me, with an SR+, it’s the days when it has snowed, it’s not been gritted and I’m not the first person out our street that are the issue. Last year I found traction was ok on fresh snow but as soon as it had been compacted, it was hard to get going and terrible trying to stop in a hurry

No worse than other rear wheel drives but definitely would expect a few hairy moments per winter with summer tyres on.

To me, it comes down to the calculation that I’ll need two sets of tyres to last four years of mileage so really only paying the cost to swap them each season. For a few hundred pounds net over the lease term, it’s worth it for the peace of mind. (For that, read being confident to still drive like it’s stolen in the rain and sleet - the standard summers don’t shift a lot of water)

That’s my view from Edinburgh. Your mileage may vary...

Reactions: exlatccatsa
To me, it comes down to the calculation that I’ll need two sets of tyres to last four years of mileage so really only paying the cost to swap them each season. For a few hundred pounds net over the lease term, it’s worth it for the peace of mind. (For that, read being confident to still drive like it’s stolen in the rain and sleet - the standard summers don’t shift a lot of water)

Is this the first winter for you with winter tyres or did you put them on last year too?

It could be the weight. Tesla is a heavy car. On snow and ice it's going to take a little longer to stop. I don't think a snow mode would help with that much.

I haven't been stuck yet and I feel like it drives similar to every other car in the snow. I don't even put it in chill. Maybe I will try that next time though.

I thought that’s what Slip start Mode was for...

upload_2020-12-21_17-23-31.png

Reactions: moj66
I personally think CrossClimates are an excellent compromise for the UK's climate for anyone looking at a single year-round tyre.. They've been shown to provide excellent benefits in the sort of wet 0-10 degree conditions that are prevalent.

The trade off is a tiny bit of summer traction loss and probably a small amount of tyre not, but not much.

Reactions: Florafauna
Dont know how effective it would be, esp if you have a M3P which has large wide wheels and wide fat tyres then I’m not sure how effective snow mode would be. If driving in snow is a concern, probably better to get a set of winter wheels and tyres

Living in a rural spot with loads of single track roads (yes that's north Essex) I'm less worried about traction than potholes.
After hitting potholes on the A12 and M11 which have cracked the 20inch alloy on my M3P I'm ordering 18 inch replacement wheels and putting CrossClimate tyres on.
The M3 seems to have great traction control and with the extra traction of the Crossclimates, I'm not anticipating any problems - fingers crossed.

I suspect the car is more tyre limited than anything else - just put the right tyres on...

Reactions: KendoNagasaki
Dont know how effective it would be, esp if you have a M3P which has large wide wheels and wide fat tyres then I’m not sure how effective snow mode would be. If driving in snow is a concern, probably better to get a set of winter wheels and tyres
Bjorn was suggesting the car could send less power to the rear and more to the front to make it less tail happy. I think that applies irrespective of tyre width. Also that regen should be turned down which you can't do at all on the 2021 model

Bjorn was suggesting the car could send less power to the rear and more to the front to make it less tail happy. I think that applies irrespective of tyre width. Also that regen should be turned down which you can't do at all on the 2021 model

in an m3p can’t you just change the balance in track mode? I’ve had a number of cars with wheels smaller than m3p and 4wd(various Impreza’s) and they have always been trickier in the snow than our other thin tired 2wd ones. So, on paper the 4wd rally specials should have felt more secure on the road, but to me.. they always didn’t.

unless of course I wanted to do the hooligan drift mode in snow when of course they we perfect, and the less about RWD powerful M series bmw in snow the better

Is this the first winter for you with winter tyres or did you put them on last year too?
First year with them. Yesterday was my car’s (UK) birthday Last winter the traction control worked well. Can’t remember a wheel spin but was definitely conscious that stopping wasn’t good in slush.

it’s a £40k rwd car with 250hp. £700 for grippier tyres to let me enjoy it all year with less risk of a chill mode loaner is worth it

First year with them. Yesterday was my car’s (UK) birthday Last winter the traction control worked well. Can’t remember a wheel spin but was definitely conscious that stopping wasn’t good in slush.

it’s a £40k rwd car with 250hp. £700 for grippier tyres to let me enjoy it all year with less risk of a chill mode loaner is worth it

When you've had some equivalent conditions this winter it will be interesting to see the differences.
(I'm in the Borders now but for many years commuted into Edinburgh from Penicuik ... which has a reputation for snowy roads! Staff were visibly pi**ed off when they saw my car already in the car park in the morning when they were struggling to make it in on time during bad weather... I had no trick other than leaving earlier to miss the traffic... and in those days I never had the luxury of winter tyres.)

in an m3p can’t you just change the balance in track mode? I’ve had a number of cars with wheels smaller than m3p and 4wd(various Impreza’s) and they have always been trickier in the snow than our other thin tired 2wd ones. So, on paper the 4wd rally specials should have felt more secure on the road, but to me.. they always didn’t.

unless of course I wanted to do the hooligan drift mode in snow when of course they we perfect, and the less about RWD powerful M series bmw in snow the better

This was what I was thinking... with track mode you can move it from 100% FWD to 100% Rear or anywhere in between, and reduce the regen and staiblity as much as you like.

I'd have thought that with those options, you might end up a lot closer to what Bjorn was saying he wanted.

All theoretical at the moment mind, not had it in snow.