Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the M3 need a Snow Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sensors are constantly adjusting power distribution in real time depending on the changing levels of slip ... whether caused by a snowy surface or anything else. There's no reason for there to be a defined mode.
Other than people complaining that they don't like that they have to slip constantly to get the front motor to engage? They want it in a 50/50 split for driving in slippery conditions for better control/driving feel. This accomplishes that automatically, which is how Elon likes things.

The software may well have been refined to better deal with slippery surfaces but I don't think it's like a switch where you are either in "snow mode" or "normal mode". There's nothing in this video that makes me think it works in that way.
You mean other than he literally shows that once you gun it and trigger a slip it stays in a ~50% split mode for a long time afterwards even if there is no further slipping? It seems like putting it in park resets it back to standard, I don't know that he identified how long it actually stayed in "snow mode".

You mean other than he literally shows that once you gun it and trigger a slip it stays in a ~50% split mode for a long time afterwards even if there is no further slipping? It seems like putting it in park resets it back to standard, I don't know that he identified how long it actually stayed in "snow mode".
Maybe, but he was never off the slippery surface so it would be reasonable for the 50/50 split to continue. Despite the fact he is not gunning it the car remains on a snowy slippery road surface at all times. Putting the car into park obviously makes it start afresh and only implements a 50/50 split when it again senses significant slip. I obviously don't have any special information and I simply don't know one way or the other but I'm just throwing in some ideas. If Tesla says there is now a "snow mode" that implements a timer for 50/50 splits in the AWD cars then that would be the clearest answer! There's clearly a change in the way the cars are managing the AWD traction control and power splits in slippery conditions.