Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the model 3 delay push back the store availability of test drive cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was in a Tesla store earlier this year the sales person told me they should have them by Christmas. Wouldn't the delay have to effect this date as well?

I expect it will. I'd really like to get a full-featured test drive (not just the short drive a friend graciously allowed me). I'd like to drive it on the freeway and try out AP and really see how it feels. But I don't really expect to have that opportunity before I'm offered the chance to configure my car and commit. I expect that I'll have to decide between buying without a further test drive, or waiting. I'm leaning toward ordering, and then maybe upgrading in a couple of years if I still want AWD and Performance and whatever other options become available.

I went to the closest Tesla store to me today (Park Meadows in CO) and spoke to one of the employees. He says that Tesla will have a fleet of 10 Model 3s that will drive across the country, stopping at each store along the way for test drives. He took my information and said emails will be sent out sometime in the next month for people to schedule their test drive. He didn’t know if reservation holders would have first priority or if order of reservation would matter. He said they aren’t advertising them because they don’t want the stores to be mobbed, so the only way to find out is to ask.

This store will apparently have them late January to early February.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and daniel
Oh, I never thought of that. So in California we have a cooling off period, like 3 days to a week, cannot remember, it's been a few years. When you buy a new car you can bring it back, no harm no foul. Perhaps they just don't send your paperwork to the DMV until that period ends so they can still sell it as a new car with just whatever miles you put on it.
Source?

Despite many claims on Priuschat, nobody ever succesfully named a state w/a mandated cooling off period on new car purchases/leases: which states have a "cooling off"/return period on new cars?.

I've shopped for new and used cars in CA for myself, been w/family when they were buying and helped others. I've never ever seen such a thing as a cooling off period on new cars in California. When going thru the paperwork, virtually every auto dealer I've seen even have signage stating there is NO cooling off period.

Some automakers or dealers may choose to provide their own $ back guarantee but there's nothing mandated.

Here are some official .ca.gov pages on the subject:
Car Buyer's Bill of Rights - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Used car buyers may purchase a two-day sales contract cancellation option.
There is no "cooling off" period unless you obtain a contract cancellation option. Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be given an opportunity to purchase a two-day Contract Cancellation Option Agreement.
Car Buyer's Bill of Rights (FFVR 35)
Used Car Buyers
Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be offered a two-day contract cancellation option agreement.

NOTE: There is no "cooling off" period unless you purchase a contract cancellation option agreement.

EXCEPTION: The contract cancellation option agreement does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use (does not include pickup trucks purchased for personal use).
What You Need To Know When Buying a Vehicle (FFVR 26)
Be aware that there is no "cooling off" period on vehicles purchased from a dealer unless you obtain a contract cancellation option, which is available when buying specified used cars from a licensed California dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I went to the closest Tesla store to me today (Park Meadows in CO) and spoke to one of the employees. He says that Tesla will have a fleet of 10 Model 3s that will drive across the country, stopping at each store along the way for test drives. He took my information and said emails will be sent out sometime in the next month for people to schedule their test drive. He didn’t know if reservation holders would have first priority or if order of reservation would matter. He said they aren’t advertising them because they don’t want the stores to be mobbed, so the only way to find out is to ask.

I wonder why Tesla would do that.

They don't have to sell the car. Its already oversold/overbooked. for at least a year.

I heard similar to the person I talked to at the LA auto show. Reservation holders will get emails to test drive. She said not exactly on date as she can’t release but next 1-2 months. She didn’t say anything about a touring group. I live in SoCal though so I would guess we’d get to first?

Is this how the Model S got rolled out?

No one knows anything?

Did they finish delivering all of the California car delivery? Did they finish all of the employee deliveries?

They had essentially no employees while the Model S was being rolled out, and delayed. So no, there were no deliveries for employees; there were Founder's and then Signature series that were rolled out first, sequentially, that went to the financiers supporting the company, then to VERY EARLY customers As I recall, they delivered ~ 80 Signature Series in August 2012, then no more for ~ 6 weeks, then they ramped ~100/week for 1 month then 200/week for 1 month then 300/week for 1 month and so on, and didn't catch up with backlog until mid 2015 And yes, essentially all the cars delivered in the first 6 months were to West Coast/California buyers. IIRC the next market was Chicago, then Atlanta, then Netherlands/Norway.

Bonnie et al, correct? I was only lurking back then ...

Because if people are looking at replacing their current car, if they lose interest in the model 3 and get something else, they are no longer in the market for another full cycle (3-8 years typically).
I'm only saying what I'm saying because if someone reserves today....then their car won't be delivered for over a year. That's exactly why Elon says that they are anti-selling the Model 3.