TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does the Model 3 glass roof provide access for assembly line robots?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by EV-lutioin, Nov 26, 2016.

1. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Although the article title refers to the glass roof, it's really the large rear window they're talking about.

• Informative x 1
  3. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

True, but does it have to be only the rear roof? We do know that there will be options to have a panoramic roof like in the Model S, and an all-glass roof (like is also introduced to Model S now), or just a "normal" metallic roof. But to me it sound like all three variants will have the same body, and that the roof in question (retractable glass/glass/metal - maybe even a retractable metal?) may be mounted to that body - probably after the interior is in place. And that will give the robots access not only through the rear window, but also through the roof/front window (depending on exact where the crossover bar(s) is).

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

The roof section, per se, is tiny and doesn't provide much of an opening for access to the interior. This is the part that can be glass or metal. The windshield and rear window sections are huge and provide lots of access. The reason I was nitpicking the title was because I didn't want the casual reader to think the author was referring to just the tiny roof section.

5. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

True, and I did not meant to talk about just through the roof part, but a combination of the rear window + the roof, or the front window + the roof - depending on exact where the crossover bar(s) is. Sorry if I did not make my self clear on that point.