Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the model 3 have an IOT garage door opener app?

arghx7

Aug 6, 2019
Michigan
It has a Tesla app which controls most of the functions you want such as heat and charging, and also sending addresses to the Nav system.
It also controls the garage door Homelink (if you buy FSD and get the Homelink accessory). Is that what you are asking about?

• Disagree
Reactions: RB88

iamroy

Oct 8, 2019
Pomfret, MD
I also have a SmartThings controlled Garage Door. There's nothing that I can currently find, but I'm hoping to write one once I get my car.

Audi2000

Oct 18, 2019
Englewood Florida
No, my
It has a Tesla app which controls most of the functions you want such as heat and charging, and also sending addresses to the Nav system.
It also controls the garage door Homelink (if you buy FSD and get the Homelink accessory). Is that what you are asking about?
From what I understand the Homelink is HW that is installed in the M3. I'd like to avoid installing HW in the M3 just to control the GD.
I use EWELINK, SONOFF app.
The device I have connected to the GD is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Z5B461/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, $13.80. I use it from Alexa, phone and computer.

Audi2000

Oct 18, 2019
Englewood Florida
Does your IoT door opener also happen to support Homelink?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, the opener I have is wi-fi frequency based, HL is radio frequency based.
I believe the Tesla has wi-fi and AT&T cell capability. I believe I could use the browser but an app would be more elegant.
I've looked through the forums and electrek and have just an inkling of what is available.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Thanks for the clarification.

There is no such thing as a Tesla app.

You can run web pages, but that’s really not convenient for a garage door I wouldn’t think.

Unfortunately, if you want easy access from the car display you would need to get the home link module for the car and an add on home link receiver for the house.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
I have a an IOT garage door opener which I use from the phone. Does the model 3 have an IOT app? Currently anxiously waiting on a M3 AWD LR.
Whenever I see that acronym, I think IdiOT and not Internet Of Things. It works too, IdiOT garage door opener. I've had those.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Snarky are we? Works great for me. I asked for help not a wise a$$ response with not so cute play on an acronym.
Snarky? Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. It was late Friday afternoon, and that's exactly what I think when I see the acronym. And to be honest, I don't think I've ever been accused of snark before. Funny, yes. Sarcastic, yes. Helpful, yes. Wise ass, never. Snarky, never.

• Disagree
Reactions: Audi2000

Audi2000

Oct 18, 2019
Englewood Florida
Snarky? Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. It was late Friday afternoon, and that's exactly what I think when I see the acronym. And to be honest, I don't think I've ever been accused of snark before. Funny, yes. Sarcastic, yes. Helpful, yes. Wise ass, never. Snarky, never.
My wife is from Dexter, I get that Maine wit all the time.

Reactions: KenC

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC