Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model 3 spin out on corners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a number of videos where drivers with supercars, or high-HP RWD cars in general, accelerate from a stop when going into a turn in order to look badass but ultimately lose traction and spin out. Are Teslas with their ability to control each individual wheel by braking to prevent slipping able to avoid this problem? Or should I still exercise caution when doing something like pulling out of a parking lot and accelerating into the street?

Reactions: Brisket5652
From what I have seen, it seems nearly impossible to spin out a Tesla. Even in the snow:

In almost all cases where performance RWD ICE cars spin out it's because the traction control was disabled. I've had a 450hp RWD C63 and it never came close to slipping because the traction would immediately kick in.

In almost all cases where performance RWD ICE cars spin out it's because the traction control was disabled. I've had a 450hp RWD C63 and it never came close to slipping because the traction would immediately kick in.

Thanks for the video and the information, very helpful. Wonder why these guys turn traction control off o_O Like this one here:
If I speed up (reasonably) while making a turn to keep traffic flowing hopefully it won't spin out.

Not only is the traction control going to keep you from spinning out. The weight distribution is far heavier up front on an ICE muscle car woth relatively little weight in the back causing the tires to lose traction sooner whereas the Tesla is 50:50 weight distribution which means the rear tires have far more weight on the rear tires than an ICE car.

I’ve tried that on my Tesla Model S :). The car will literally cut power if you completely lose traction. I’ve had occasion where I’m boosting out of a parking lot on gravel, the wheels think about spinning, and then no power until traction is regained. Or at least that’s how it feels. So, yeah, the car won’t let you be an idiot...

Or should I still exercise caution when doing something like pulling out of a parking lot and accelerating into the street?
You should always exercise caution when exiting a parking lot and/or when accelerating, since other cars share the road with you.

But you are not going to lose traction unless you turn off the traction control. Which would be a very dumb thing to do on a public road.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
Not only is the traction control going to keep you from spinning out. The weight distribution is far heavier up front on an ICE muscle car woth relatively little weight in the back causing the tires to lose traction sooner whereas the Tesla is 50:50 weight distribution which means the rear tires have far more weight on the rear tires than an ICE car.
As already said a lot of cars are near 50/50 these days, front wheel drive may be more biased but performance RWD cars are well balanced because handling standards are so high today.

On a lot of performance cars these days you need to do more than disabled traction control and reduce stability control. Pulling fuses is needed on many cars as stability control is not turned off when you tell it to bit rather reduced.

Reactions: coleAK
Oh they spin, anything spins given the right conditions (or wrong depending on how you look at it). There was a model X in front of my house last week I pulled out of the snow he said he spun a 720 right down the center of the road. All season tires+fresh snow on ice+sudden Regen kick in+downhill = unintended 720.

Traction control greatly helps but isn’t the save all.

As regards to Tesla’s traction control it’s good but not superior to my 4Matic MB, land cruiser, or Subaru. However It’s hard to compare the Tesla to an ICE because the torque of the EV starts on demand and is a much higher curve.

And yes many cars it’s impossible to completely turn off stability without pulling fuses. The last 911 I owned had PSM (Porsche Stability Management but I joked “Please Save Me”). On the track I would turn it off but if the car was in a skid and I touched the breaks it would turn back on.

Thanks for the video and the information, very helpful. Wonder why these guys turn traction control off o_O Like this one here:
If I speed up (reasonably) while making a turn to keep traffic flowing hopefully it won't spin out.

I suppose a car show isn't much of a show without the loud engines and hooliganism lol. Some of those guys might not know how often their TC has saved them so when they turn off they misjudge their traction. I think you will be completely fine in your Tesla.

On the second day I had my AWD 3 I accelerated hard from a stop into a right turn. I let up on the accelerator when I heard the tires squeal. Don't know if it would have let me spin or not if I had stayed on it, but the back end felt like it started to go a little loose.

Oh they spin, anything spins given the right conditions (or wrong depending on how you look at it). There was a model X in front of my house last week I pulled out of the snow he said he spun a 720 right down the center of the road. All season tires+fresh snow on ice+sudden Regen kick in+downhill = unintended 720.

Traction control greatly helps but isn’t the save all.

Ah, that sounds terrifying to lose control going downhill. As long as that doesn't happen when roads are dry I'm happy.

Why? Regen braking shouldn’t be any different from friction braking wrt traction.

Yes it is, No ABS with Regen. I tried it last week and it slides uncontrolled and the stability control seems confused so I switched Regen to low and will leave it that way until spring. Probably the best thing to do in that scenario would be to hit the breaks so you have ABS. I talked to the guy with the X and he got it mid summer so hadn’t driven it on snow yet. said Regen got him, he crested the top of the hill let off the accelerator and Regen put him in a slide. Also said he wasn’t planning on winter tires but was getting them now. He asked me and I showed him my 3 with Hakka 9’s

Yes it is, No ABS with Regen. I tried it last week and it slides uncontrolled and the stability control seems confused so I switched Regen to low and will leave it that way until spring. Probably the best thing to do in that scenario would be to hit the breaks so you have ABS. I talked to the guy with the X and he got it mid summer so hadn’t driven it on snow yet. said Regen got him, he crested the top of the hill let off the accelerator and Regen put him in a slide. Also said he wasn’t planning on winter tires but was getting them now. He asked me and I showed him my 3 with Hakka 9’s

Really? No ABS with regen? Seems like a mistake on Tesla’s part...

Does this friend also live in Alaska? Driving in true winter conditions without real snow tires is asking for trouble no matter what kind of car you have.

Reactions: coleAK