Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S have a service-due nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the topic says. The question doesn't yield to a forum search and the owner manual seems to be silent on the subject.

We'll probably come up on one year from delivery before we hit 12,500 miles. Will the car tell us when we're near/at one year from delivery, and thus due for service, or am I expected to be a big boy and keep track of when service is due myself? The ICE that is our Tesla's garagemate tells me, in its veddy polite British way, when it's been a year since the preceding service.

Model S has no official need of service so it cannot be due :) There is a recommended checkup at 12.5k miles or every year, but that's just a recommended checkup that is not obligatory hence no notice. I'd be pretty pissed as I have no plans to take mine to service unless something breaks and I specifically confirmed this with Tesla prior to ordering as my closest service center is still over a 1000km away for quite some time.

This is good. Our Toyota starts nagging at 500 miles before the service interval. You can clear this warning by pressing a button. Once the service interval is reached, you can't clear the screen except for a few seconds - it's maddening.

Model S has no official need of service so it cannot be due :) There is a recommended checkup at 12.5k miles or every year, but that's just a recommended checkup that is not obligatory hence no notice. I'd be pretty pissed as I have no plans to take mine to service unless something breaks and I specifically confirmed this with Tesla prior to ordering as my closest service center is still over a 1000km away for quite some time.

You still got to keep your warranty right? How would that work?

Yup, warranty was in the back of my mind (nothing in front) in posing my question. I'm not worried about the nonexistent crankcase oil turning to sludge, or the nonexistent oil filter clogging, if I don't have the recommended service. I am worried that the car has something, somewhere, that if not serviced annually, could fail and leave me stuck with the bill during the warranty period.

Meanwhile, I've taken dms363's suggestion and made Google Calendar my (and my car's) friend.

You still got to keep your warranty right? How would that work?

Tesla has claimed multiple times and Elon even more so that service is not part of warranty requirement. There is nothing to service beyond checking the brake fluid level every 2 years and battery coolant level every 4 years. While this isn't allowed for the user to fill up I think I could still check if the level is ok and just inform Tesla (i.e. take a pic). In any case I was assured multiple times that my 4y 80k warranty and the battery warranty of 8y unlimited are valid even if the car never sees a service center.

here's a quote from the blog post in question:
http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

Pretty sure that's not a regular service reminder. That happened after I had my 12,500 mile service done, turned out a coolant pump needed to be replaced.

I think you're right. I've had "Contact Tesla Service" messages too, but for specific problems the car detects. In my case it was a recurring TPMS error that they recently addressed at a service visit.