TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does the Model S have a service-due nag?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Pettifogger, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Pettifogger

Pettifogger Member

Like the topic says. The question doesn't yield to a forum search and the owner manual seems to be silent on the subject.

We'll probably come up on one year from delivery before we hit 12,500 miles. Will the car tell us when we're near/at one year from delivery, and thus due for service, or am I expected to be a big boy and keep track of when service is due myself? The ICE that is our Tesla's garagemate tells me, in its veddy polite British way, when it's been a year since the preceding service.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Welcome to TMC.

There's nothing in the car that lets you know about service due. If you have a calendar app on your computer or phone I'd just put a reminder there.

3. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

That's crazy, even the Roadster will annoyingly tell you every time you start the car when service is due.

4. dsm363

Maybe the Model S does have something. They keep updating the software but don't think I saw anything on my car and don't remember any posts about it. Anyone seen such a reminder?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I'm at 27k miles and haven't seen anything yet.

6. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Model S has no official need of service so it cannot be due :) There is a recommended checkup at 12.5k miles or every year, but that's just a recommended checkup that is not obligatory hence no notice. I'd be pretty pissed as I have no plans to take mine to service unless something breaks and I specifically confirmed this with Tesla prior to ordering as my closest service center is still over a 1000km away for quite some time.

7. gglockner

gglockner Member

This is good. Our Toyota starts nagging at 500 miles before the service interval. You can clear this warning by pressing a button. Once the service interval is reached, you can't clear the screen except for a few seconds - it's maddening.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Your friendly Tesla Motors service center sends you an email.

The alert in the Roadster is mega-annoying. BRAP BRAP BRAP every time you start the car.

9. You still got to keep your warranty right? How would that work?

10. Pettifogger

Pettifogger Member

Yup, warranty was in the back of my mind (nothing in front) in posing my question. I'm not worried about the nonexistent crankcase oil turning to sludge, or the nonexistent oil filter clogging, if I don't have the recommended service. I am worried that the car has something, somewhere, that if not serviced annually, could fail and leave me stuck with the bill during the warranty period.

Meanwhile, I've taken dms363's suggestion and made Google Calendar my (and my car's) friend.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have never received a service reminder email. I have, however, received both emails and phone calls whenever I've reported little issues here on these forums :smile:

12. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

I just had this message today. Around 11.5k or 22.5k (today) A message will pop up as an alert and say car needs service.

13. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Pretty sure that's not a regular service reminder. That happened after I had my 12,500 mile service done, turned out a coolant pump needed to be replaced.

14. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

could someone confirm? It went away and never came back. 2nd time I've seen it and always near service time.

15. dsm363

I'd call your service center. They can connect to the car usually and see if there are any error messages or maybe you need to take it in. They should at least be able to tell you if those messages are service reminders.

16. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Tesla has claimed multiple times and Elon even more so that service is not part of warranty requirement. There is nothing to service beyond checking the brake fluid level every 2 years and battery coolant level every 4 years. While this isn't allowed for the user to fill up I think I could still check if the level is ok and just inform Tesla (i.e. take a pic). In any case I was assured multiple times that my 4y 80k warranty and the battery warranty of 8y unlimited are valid even if the car never sees a service center.

here's a quote from the blog post in question:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/en_EU/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I think you're right. I've had "Contact Tesla Service" messages too, but for specific problems the car detects. In my case it was a recurring TPMS error that they recently addressed at a service visit.