Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, an acknowledgment: Yes, I do very much know that the topic is the ODB-II __in_the_Model_S__.

I'm very, very far down the waiting list (early October, 2016) for a Tesla 3.
I'm also a customer of T-Mobile.
I recently read an interesting web-article at this URL:
T-Mobile SyncUp Drive can create a Wi-Fi hotspot in your car and analyze vehicle diagnostics
It sounds intriguing to me, for both the here and now as well as the future.

So, here comes the obvious questions:

1) Does anyone know if the Model 4 will include an ODB-II connector?
and
2) Will it be located in an unobtrusive location, such that the above mentioned "T-Mobile SyncUp Drive" can be plugged in, and NOT in the way when someone is driving?

So, here comes the obvious questions:

1) Does anyone know if the Model 4 will include an ODB-II connector?
and
2) Will it be located in an unobtrusive location, such that the above mentioned "T-Mobile SyncUp Drive" can be plugged in, and NOT in the way when someone is driving?

By law it's required to have one, and I believe it must be within a certain distance from the steering wheel. Beyond that I won't speculate.

Having the standard OBD CONNECTOR does not mean any specific device will work. Here's why:

Most of the OBD "dongle" devices expect to be plugged into a vehicle which has the emissions-mandated OBD-II signals, pin usage, and command/response structure. The device then communicates, often via bluetooth, but sometimes as a WiFi access point, to an app on a smartphone or tablet, or a program on a laptop or similar computer. After connecting to the OBD dongle, the app/program usually asks the dongle to obtain, query-and-read, or listen for specific useful data. Some of these work fairly well on typical later-model smog-producers, including most hybrids.

However, an all-electric vehicle produces no emissions, so it, like the Tesla R, S, X, and model 3, is exempt from the OBD-II requirements. The EV manufacturers have mostly chosen to avoid supporting the OBD-II commands and data structure, and most have produced their own proprietary interface, even though the vehicle has the standard 16-pin OBD connector.

Thus, the bad news is ... the device that you read about, unless specifically designed to include support for your specific EV, is probably useless on your EV.

The good news is ... our clever group has created TM-Spy for the Tesla, and Leaf-Spy for the Nissan LEAF, with apps for both Android and for later iOS devices. Compatible ELM-type OBD dongles are supported, with Bluetooth, Low Energy BT, or even WiFi interfaces. The link in my signature line will help you find more information about TM-Spy, fairly efficiently.

Cheers, Gary

Last edited:
I was at the Rockville Service Center today and asked hem about it. I was told that the car has an OBDII connector because it is required by law. However, I was told that it does nothing; that the only pins connected to the connector are ground and voltage.

looking at the picture pins 6,7 and 14 are populated also which would indicate can-bus comms 4&5 are gorund 16 +12v.

Can anyone confirm/deny if very early Model S cars even have an OBD-II port? I'm talking Sigs and early production models. I heard they didn't and added it later to comply with some regulatory request. I've looked all over my 6xxx-VIN car and can't seem to find it.

On a LHD car, it's above the foot rest for your left foot:
img_4037.jpg

Can anyone confirm/deny if very early Model S cars even have an OBD-II port? I'm talking Sigs and early production models. I heard they didn't and added it later to comply with some regulatory request. I've looked all over my 6xxx-VIN car and can't seem to find it.

My 2012 model S 85 has an OBDII. I use it to get lost of great trips data for a FleetCarma study. It works fine.

I thought FleetCarma used an adaptor cable to get the data from the DIAG connector (under the cubbyhole)? That was the original plan.

It does. I have one. The device is an OBD II plug, but for Tesla comes with a short cable that has a Tesla plug on one end and an OBD II socket on the other. You plug the device into the adapter cable and the cable into the Tesla Diagnostic connector behind the center cubby.

It does. I have one. The device is an OBD II plug, but for Tesla comes with a short cable that has a Tesla plug on one end and an OBD II socket on the other. You plug the device into the adapter cable and the cable into the Tesla Diagnostic connector behind the center cubby.

Thanks - that's what I thought. Data comes from the Diagnostic connector (not OBDII port).

Is there any pic of the device can be shared? Or any link that I can purchase?

Thanks

It will be there. Old style diagnostic connector. The cable comes down from the MCU, so maybe tucked away high. Normally you can see it either behind the cubby (pull it out), or one of the side panels.

It's not. At least it's it is, out isn't accessible under the screen just by removing the cubby.

I've taken it completely off at the point and there's no cable there at all.