Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the Model S have an OBD-II connector? If so, does it show any information that is different from ICE cars?

I thought ODB-II is required for all cars but the sub systems for electric are much different than an ICE vehicle.

Yes it does. Note that ODBII connectors also connect with the CAN and the BEAN buses. The ODBII bus will have the applicable readouts and will tell the testing system it's an EV--although many places just put the VIN into their software and don't bother connecting the ODBII for EVs unless the VIN doesn't show up. The CAN bus is where all the interesting information is and that varies by car and by manufacturer.

Interesting. Where is it located? I would have thought the Model S didn't have one since, by my understanding, OBD standard is more for emissions related issues rather than general diagnostics. In fact, my OBD II scanner is on my list of things to get rid of, along with my oil filter wrench, spark plug wrench, etc.

I don't think it has one. I asked a Tesla Ranger and he told it does not have OBDII. It does have a connector on the driver side in the part of the dash next to the door. Pop the side panel off and you will find it.

I am pretty sure all cars made now have to have an OBDII port. And they are required to be near the steering wheel. The one in the Model S is directly above the dead pedal, under the steering wheel, as shown in this picture.
WP_20130927_003.jpg

I don't think it has one. I asked a Tesla Ranger and he told it does not have OBDII. It does have a connector on the driver side in the part of the dash next to the door. Pop the side panel off and you will find it.

I heard (can't remember where) that earlier production cars didn't have the OBD II port but later ones do. I'll have to look and see if I have one...

I have a Leaf and some developers have put together a droid app that works with a bluetooth OBD connector and provides individual cell voltages, tire pressure, temperature, VIN, charge cycles and more. I would be surprised if Tesla doesn't have a lot of information avaiable at this connector. As someone mentioned it is connected to the CAN bus.

I was at the Rockville Service Center today and asked hem about it. I was told that the car has an OBDII connector because it is required by law. However, I was told that it does nothing; that the only pins connected to the connector are ground and voltage.

I was at the Rockville Service Center today and asked hem about it. I was told that the car has an OBDII connector because it is required by law. However, I was told that it does nothing; that the only pins connected to the connector are ground and voltage.

I think this is correct. I connected my OBDII scan tool to it, and it powered up but could not communicate with the car.

That is the DIAG connector. Provides direct access to the multiple CAN buses in the car for service technicians. But, everything on those buses is Tesla proprietary.

Most of the interesting information on the Prius' ODBII connector is proprietary too. Some folks have spent a lot of time figuring out what the codes mean so that you can program your ScangaugeII to read them. However, it's also possible to brick your Prius if you do it wrong because it works by sending an inquiry to the CAN bus and getting an answer. I think I remember reading a clause in the Tesla purchase agreement where you agree not to do this.