TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does the Model X front motor make a whining sound?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Skateboardgolf, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Skateboardgolf

I test drove the Model S P85D in 2014, and the front motor whine was a show-stopper for me. I've been accustomed to the silence of the rear-wheel drives. Drove an 85D a year later, and it felt 50% quieter, and more pleasing to the ears.

I figured I'd consider an AWD model in the future, when they could eliminate the front motor whine.

So, anyone with a Model X have any thoughts? Does it ride in total silence? If there's a noise, how does it compare with a Model S?

2. pvogel

pvogel Member

There's no way you drove an S 85D in 2014, the 'D' wasn't revealed until 2015!

3. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

4. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

And the first deliveries in March 2015 ...

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Model S P85D first deliveries were in December 2014 (mine, for example), consistent with OP's claim to having test-driven one.

6. pvogel

pvogel Member

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Does the Model X front motor make a whining sound?

"Drive me to Flohridda. How come you nevah drive me to Flohridda?"

8. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

LOL! You and ohmman should take your act on the road (preferably in a Model X).

9. vangogh

vangogh Member

Yes...If you have the radio off and windows closed...you can hear a slight whine. but if there is any other noise in the car...it is not really noticable...

10. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I understand PV. The original hype was D and other Letters.... we all thought X... Didn't happen. Does seem like yesterday. Model X reservation holders go to hibernation mode as a time defense mechanism.

11. Skateboardgolf

Thanks vangogh. Have you experienced the whine in a Model S? How does your Model X compare?

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The model X front motor sound is a lot quieter than the model s one. I too didn't like the model s front motor whine but have no problems with the model X one.

13. pvogel

pvogel Member

It occurred to me as I re-watched Marcus Adolfsson's review video that at the end when he kicks it from 0-80 in 5.x seconds you get a good sense of the noise, since both motors are going full bore.

I would not be bothered at all by that level of noise.

14. vangogh

vangogh Member

I don't have that much experience with the S....but again, the whine from the X is barely noticable and only during accleration from low speeds if there is no sound in the car.....

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Same results in my X.

16. rdverb

rdverb Member

I just test drove an XP90D w/ludicrous at the factory on Sunday and the sound was not noticeably different from my S85D. Same ride (air) and pretty much the same handling on good roads. Comfortable seats in a 6-seat config - can't get used to white vinyl and the gray leather isn't available so I'll probably wind up with black (yuch) since my wife doesn't like the tan. Pano windshield may prove to be a problem in summer - visors seem too tiny to possibly be useful when the sun is in awkward places. I suppose someone will find a way to cover the glossy black back of the front seats eventually - they make the seats look flimsy.