Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model X front motor make a whining sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the Model S P85D in 2014, and the front motor whine was a show-stopper for me. I've been accustomed to the silence of the rear-wheel drives. Drove an 85D a year later, and it felt 50% quieter, and more pleasing to the ears.

I figured I'd consider an AWD model in the future, when they could eliminate the front motor whine.

So, anyone with a Model X have any thoughts? Does it ride in total silence? If there's a noise, how does it compare with a Model S?

I test drove the Model S P85D in 2014, and the front motor whine was a show-stopper for me. I've been accustomed to the silence of the rear-wheel drives. Drove an 85D a year later, and it felt 50% quieter, and more pleasing to the ears.

I figured I'd consider an AWD model in the future, when they could eliminate the front motor whine.

So, anyone with a Model X have any thoughts? Does it ride in total silence? If there's a noise, how does it compare with a Model S?

Yes...If you have the radio off and windows closed...you can hear a slight whine. but if there is any other noise in the car...it is not really noticable...

It occurred to me as I re-watched Marcus Adolfsson's review video that at the end when he kicks it from 0-80 in 5.x seconds you get a good sense of the noise, since both motors are going full bore.

I would not be bothered at all by that level of noise.

I just test drove an XP90D w/ludicrous at the factory on Sunday and the sound was not noticeably different from my S85D. Same ride (air) and pretty much the same handling on good roads. Comfortable seats in a 6-seat config - can't get used to white vinyl and the gray leather isn't available so I'll probably wind up with black (yuch) since my wife doesn't like the tan. Pano windshield may prove to be a problem in summer - visors seem too tiny to possibly be useful when the sun is in awkward places. I suppose someone will find a way to cover the glossy black back of the front seats eventually - they make the seats look flimsy.