Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the model X make your passengers car sick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be a real problem since I've had about half of my passengers complain about it independent of each other. Passengers that sick in the 2nd or 3rd row for longer road trips complain that they get car sick and feel nauseous even though they don't typically get car sick in other cars.

I drive my model X the same way that I drive my model s and haven't ever had anyone complain about sickness in the model s.

Anybody else get these complaints? If so, what have you done to try to ease the ride?

I'm not entirely sure what about the model X makes it worse than the s in this regard?

- Is it because the model X rides higher so gets more sway on turns?
- could it be the big windshield and double vision issues causing sickness for people in the back?
- the stiffer, bumpier ride of the X?
- air flow problems into the rear cabin?
- maybe the new car smell?
- something else?

Seriously, any advice appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
- something else?

- May be the driver! (with a lead foot)
- Curvy road.
- Passenger age (kids are more sensitive)
- Air pressure from clim (May be open the windows instead)
- Have some small cookies or drinks more often could help.
- May be increasing the number of pit stops.
- Bored or no interest with the trip, would rather stay home to play.

This seems to be a real problem since I've had about half of my passengers complain about it independent of each other. Passengers that sick in the 2nd or 3rd row for longer road trips complain that they get car sick and feel nauseous even though they don't typically get car sick in other cars.

I drive my model X the same way that I drive my model s and haven't ever had anyone complain about sickness in the model s.

Anybody else get these complaints? If so, what have you done to try to ease the ride?

I'm not entirely sure what about the model X makes it worse than the s in this regard?

- could it be the big windshield and double vision issues causing sickness for people in the back?
- something else?

My wife has complained about it when she has had to sit in the 2nd row with our toddler. I think it is due to the regenerative braking. lifting your foot off the accelerator causes the car to slow down much more drastically than it would in an ICE and this makes the 2nd and 3rd row passengers a bit uncomfortable. We have another Nissan Leaf and experience the same in that car as well (although Leaf's regen is not that aggressive). Try with the reduced regen mode to see if it helps( although it won't help your range!)

• Informative
Reactions: Red5StandingBy
Maybe the new roof line is messing with the eye to brain signals. Sitting in the back of any car is problematic for many people, but especially when the sight lines (direct and peripheral) are moving around faster than a brain can process. New experience, much to absorb, wider viewing lens etc......and need to retrain the brain. Tell them to stop looking up or reading and instead look ahead. Eyes on the forward horizon is the fastest way to calm car sickness or sea sickness etc.

FWIW, I've heard motion sickness occurs more often in people with sharp eye sensitivity, in other words they have intense involuntary and voluntary viewing going on from all angles throwing off processing, equilibrium etc. So you've got a bunch of eagle eyes driving with you. Or the person who explained it to me was over compensating for his condition and I believed him. LoL.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I am the king of car sickness. When not driving I generally have real issues. Most of it is related to how others drive. If they drive smoothly (ie no jerky accelerator/braking), don't wander around the lanes, corner appropriately and don't have the car set as an oven, I am usually OK. But that is rarely the case. Most people don't drive smoothly. My family has even accused me of being a bit abrupt on corners naming me 'sponge brain square turns'.:)

I had a passenger for the day once on some very windy roads. He claimed he could challenge me on car sickness. So I purposefully put him in the front seat with me. Never got a complaint the whole day even though we put in a couple hundred miles of mountain road driving. In fact on a few legs of the trip, he actually fell asleep.

So I think it's probably more about driving style than the car itself. One has to be very conscious of how they are driving wrt comfort. Some cars like the S and X do have tighter suspensions that enhance the feeling and perhaps lowering the suspension could help too.

BTW I did make myself really sick in the Model X the other day. Coming back from Stinson Beach at dusk on Hwy 1 took its toll on me. I don't think it was the car but just a perfect storm of road, lighting, time of day, the days events and traffic. First time I had the AC lower than 74 F.:)

I also wanted to mention the re-gen braking. I recall driving my i3 for the first time and making myself queezy!
I do suffer from motion sickness and was aware of the drastic breaking effect when releasing the gas. I quickly learnt that easing the gas pedal activates breaking

Maybe the new roof line is messing with the eye to brain signals. Sitting in the back of any car is problematic for many people, but especially when the sight lines (direct and peripheral) are moving around faster than a brain can process. New experience, much to absorb, wider viewing lens etc......and need to retrain the brain. Tell them to stop looking up or reading and instead look ahead. Eyes on the forward horizon is the fastest way to calm car sickness or sea sickness etc.

FWIW, I've heard motion sickness occurs more often in people with sharp eye sensitivity, in other words they have intense involuntary and voluntary viewing going on from all angles throwing off processing, equilibrium etc. So you've got a bunch of eagle eyes driving with you. Or the person who explained it to me was over compensating for his condition and I believed him. LoL.

This is very interesting. I scan my environment all the time and I'm very prone to motion sickness, though I'm bullet proof when on Dramamine. It's not an anxiety thing, I'm usually the one to calm down nervous fliers, I think it may be a hunter gatherer throwback or something, when the car is on autopilot I use the freedom to scan the environment around the car even more than I do on manual control.

I always thought the motion sickness was just a severely messed up inner ear.

This is very interesting. I scan my environment all the time and I'm very prone to motion sickness, though I'm bullet proof when on Dramamine. It's not an anxiety thing, I'm usually the one to calm down nervous fliers, I think it may be a hunter gatherer throwback or something, when the car is on autopilot I use the freedom to scan the environment around the car even more than I do on manual control.

I always thought the motion sickness was just a severely messed up inner ear.
If your inner ear is seriously messed up, motion sickness is a definte possibility as well as problems with your overall equilibrium too. I've had bed spins while recovering from inner ear infections......and not one drink to blame.

Why is there not an option to turn off regen braking?
Have you experienced regen completely disabled eg. at 100% battery power ? It could be scary at times as MS/X platform rolls and rolls, like a small ICE car with the clutch pedal down.

I have to say it.. and I'm sorry if it's obvious but folks, you don't have to let go of the gas pedal all at once, you can ease up on it slowly to adjust regen. If you want no regen during a decel just find that spot.

If your inner ear is seriously messed up, motion sickness is a definte possibility as well as problems with your overall equilibrium too. I've had bed spins while recovering from inner ear infections......and not one drink to blame.

I've always had motion sickness problems, but it got worse when I had an inner ear infection. Inner ear infections can leave debris in the inner ear cochlea that can trigger vertigo attacks off and on for years. I still have them occasionally. I have mild ones more often where I just feel mildly motion sick for a few hours.

My first impulse was to be skeptical of regen as a cause of nausea since slowing down is slowing down -- whether from a hill, friction brakes, or regen. There is a difference though: in non-regen cars negative acceleration usually occurs from 0 acceleration while regen could be a rapid transition from positive to negative depending on driver habits. I'm not sure why rear-seating would matter though. Perhaps this is a multi-factorial thing.

Gentler driving and passenger focusing on the horizon sound like good places to start.

- something else?

Both of my kids used to get carsick in our Chevy Equinox on our road trips when using electronics. Last year when we drove to Tampa they could only stream videos for about 30 minutes before getting queasy. We just completed the same trip in our X and they were able to use electronics the entire way. I think the sense of motion combined is lesser in the X with auto-pilot enabled on the highways. But given that all of this is highly subjective your mileage may vary.