Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model Y feel sluggish compared to the Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went from an early VIN Real wheel drive Model 3 to a Model Y. My Model 3 had the original stiffer suspension and was great fun to drive. When driving the Model Y, I feel like the accelerator is just not that responsive. You have to push it a lot more to get the kind of acceleration I used to get with my RWD Model 3. According to the specs they have comparable zero-60 times. So I wondering if there is something wrong with my Model Y. The acceleration setting is the same (not chill)

What about others with Model Y's who switched from a Model 3, what's your impression ?

Thanks,
Bino.

I recently went from an early VIN Real wheel drive Model 3 to a Model Y. My Model 3 had the original stiffer suspension and was great fun to drive. When driving the Model Y, I feel like the accelerator is just not that responsive. You have to push it a lot more to get the kind of acceleration I used to get with my RWD Model 3. According to the specs they have comparable zero-60 times. So I wondering if there is something wrong with my Model Y. The acceleration setting is the same (not chill)

What about others with Model Y's who switched from a Model 3, what's your impression ?

Thanks,
Bino.

Did you check the acceleration mode in the car control screen ("driving category)? It has a setting for "chill" and "sport".

We've had a model 3 for 18 months and recently added Model Y. Both are LR AWD. The first two days I felt that the Y was more sluggish or massive. Now I don't notice it. I suspect I need to recalibrate how hard I press the accelerator. But there are not many data points, not a lot driving (although we recently did a round trip from the Silicon Valley to Santa Barbara)

Yes, as I mentioned in the post it is not chill. The options are standard and chill I think on the Model Y and Model 3 non performance versions. Any way the settings are identical to the Model 3.

Sorry about that, missed that last line.

The only other differences is RWD vs. AWD, and of course, the size. The Model Y, being considerably taller, may -seem- to be slower than it is. Or, more precisely, a sedan build low to the ground, like the Model 3, will always seem faster, probably because you feel more connected to the road.

Reactions: preilly44
Some has laid claim that Tesla is intentionally holding back the Y's acceleration from a dead stop. Hopefully future software update will improve this.

The MS 75D I drove can literally snap my neck when I smash the gas. Not so with the Y's..

Reactions: aronth5
And there is also a "factory mode" and more significantly a "dealer mode" Factory mode is clearly announced on screen, Dealer mode is not, but won't go faster than (IIRC) 79 mph and max acceleration rate is similar to chill mode.

Hmm, I wonder if that's what I encountered the first few days. The car couldn't enable cabin overheat protection mode which I believe is part of the "shipping" setting for the car. Is that same as "dealer mode"?

I was gonna say - maybe try a reboot..:p
Oh I rebooted the car several times for other reasons, this was something only the service people could do and apparently it can be done remotely. And it was not in dealer more or factory mode according to the support person.

My suspicion is that there are debug settings to turn off each motor, perhaps they did that in the factory duing testing and they forgot to reset that ? Who knows for sure.

I am glad the support person knew what it was.

By the way there is a great deal of variation in the knowledge of the support people. If you get someone who can't help you try again. you might get someone who does know.

Oh I rebooted the car several times for other reasons, this was something only the service people could do and apparently it can be done remotely. And it was not in dealer more or factory mode according to the support person.

My suspicion is that there are debug settings to turn off each motor, perhaps they did that in the factory duing testing and they forgot to reset that ? Who knows for sure.

I am glad the support person knew what it was.

By the way there is a great deal of variation in the knowledge of the support people. If you get someone who can't help you try again. you might get someone who does know.
So is the problem fixed? If so could you clearly elucidate the root of the problem?

I just picked up an AWD LR Y today, have owned an AWD LR 3 since mid '18. I immediately thought the same thing, the travel on the pedal feels longer, and it gets going about the same as the 3, but you have to press further. I'm thinking it's also a different feel than the 3 since you are sitting up higher and pushing at a different angle. Heavier car, but measured output seems to actually be higher than the equivalent 3, based on some posts of CAN data

• Love
Reactions: bino_george