Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Model Y need this grill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a waste of time. Most cars have open air vents on the floor and this is the first time I am reading about people closing them. If I haven't had an issue in the last 20 years, no reason to expect an issue now.

This a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Seems like a waste of time. Most cars have open air vents on the floor and this is the first time I am reading about people closing them. If I haven't had an issue in the last 20 years, no reason to expect an issue now.

Most? I have owned 16 different cars. Including the ones my parents have owned, it’s over 25. None have had open floor vents like these. The ones that were at floor level (not in the floor), immediately went up, not down. Things roll down hill, not up.

If your house has floor vents, do you keep covers on them?

I'm obsessively gathering all of my accessories before I take delivery.

Weird request but could anyone of you guys check behind the driver and passenger seat to see if the Model Y has the same air vent opening and needs needs a rear seat air vent cover grill as the Model 3 does?
I just ordered this one:
It's the only (first) one I found that didn't need to be taped into place.

Neighbor had a GMC Acadia and kids dropped some marbles on the floor and magically went into the vents. Every time they accelerated and braked the marbles would roll back and fourth. Dealer wanted over $1K to disassemble the interior and get them out. It was a lease and they just lived with it for another year. If you have kids then everything and anything could go into the vents.

Has anybody found a solution that works on the y? Everything I read says the covers made for the 3 don’t fit, and I can’t find any made for the y. I have little kids, and I know the vents are destined to be clogged with toys
Seems like yours worked well!
I thought this was not worth worrying about until my wife was driving the dog home from the kennel after vacation earlier this week and slammed the breaks with open dog food on the back seat, which is now mostly in the vent. I wonder if this will prevent it from coming out testing acceleration boost?
I can see your brain going “acceleration boost is definitely the solution. Now we just need to find a problem.”

It would be best if you took some time to look at how the Model Y ducts are constructed and installed then you would realize it is a problem. The MY's vent's are installed at the floor level, unlike other cars that are raised 2-3 inches above the floor. As CapsEngineer stated, the vents drop DOWN almost at a 90 degree angle (circled 1 in the picture); this is the issue. Once something falls into the open vent, you need to remove the seats, carpet, and center console. Hopefully the attached picture can help you visualize the issue.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 10.44.20 AM.png

Reactions: Watts_Up
Neighbor had a GMC Acadia and kids dropped some marbles on the floor and magically went into the vents. Every time they accelerated and braked the marbles would roll back and fourth. Dealer wanted over $1K to disassemble the interior and get them out. It was a lease and they just lived with it for another year. If you have kids then everything and anything could go into the vents.
I just got back from a week long camping trip where we utilized all the backseat passenger floor space where things could roll, slide or free dive itself into the vents LOL. As you can imagine, when you're car camping things aren't always in their place. Whenever I would hear something fall onto the floor I would say to myself, "Good thing I installed the vent cover." Even adults can drop crap! Lol

It would be best if you took some time to look at how the Model Y ducts are constructed and installed then you would realize it is a problem. The MY's vent's are installed at the floor level, unlike other cars that are raised 2-3 inches above the floor. As CapsEngineer stated, the vents drop DOWN almost at a 90 degree angle (circled 1 in the picture); this is the issue. Once something falls into the open vent, you need to remove the seats, carpet, and center console. Hopefully the attached picture can help you visualize the issue.

View attachment 653523
Thanks that makes sense. Unfortunately this website doesn't allow you to edit or delete previous posts. Stupid site design.

Reactions: Halpm3Pleas3
Fwiw, I installed mine. I don’t think the airflow impact would be too terrible. Good 3D printed shape, I had to shave a bit off one side because my vent had a slight “bend” . With our 3, that we’ve we had since our kids were 3 and 5, it’s a miracle nothing solid went in there yet. Who knows what mysterious food may have gone down tho.