Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the new maps update for NoA needs to be downloaded all at once?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been having trouble downloading this massive update 5.1 gig all at once, the car keep losing wifi (I have been using my iPhone/ipad for hotspot) but if the car turns off the wifi, the iOS turns off the hotspot and the car can't reconnect.

Does anyone know if this update can be downloaded over time or it needs to download the whole thing in one go?

I have been having trouble downloading this massive update 5.1 gig all at once, the car keep losing wifi (I have been using my iPhone/ipad for hotspot) but if the car turns off the wifi, the iOS turns off the hotspot and the car can't reconnect.

Does anyone know if this update can be downloaded over time or it needs to download the whole thing in one go?
As an apartment dweller who has run in to this conundrum (easy LTE, but weak WiFi into garage), I relate. No one at Tesla has been able to answer this question, which is simple -- is the 5-6GB maps download "checkpointed", like an Apple OS version of similar size, whereby data is incremental, but not triggering a complete restart upon fail? Big difference, like linear vs. quadratic.

Further, because there is only Tesla "push" vs. user "pull", a smartphone hotspot connection is a non-starter even overnight. The "push" is non-deterministic as far as I can see. As well, Tesla dealers themselves have no fast WiFi that can be relied upon. E.g. I took my M3 in for service for a few hours for another reason, but the maps update was a fail even there, as they confessed ex-post-facto an update failed for other M3s for all-day impounds, intimating that the S & X have easier USB updates for such, but not the M3. Hmm... Are maps vectors or bitmaps? Data compression methods used? Inquiring minds wanna know.