Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the new Model S really get 400+ miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious...

1. Does it actually show the 400 number on the range display?

2. Can you actually go 400 miles on a charge with *real world driving or nah
1)yes IF you max charge the car which you should only do for road trips or you actually need those extra miles.
2)that really all depends on how you drive. *most* people that have Tesla’s enjoy the heck out of them so no you won’t get close to the 400 miles. There is what I call my in town Tesla where I drive spiritedly and will get about 2/3 of my range. And then there is my road trip Tesla where I drive like a little old man with AP engaged the entire trip and then yes I’ll get about 90% of my range.

1)yes IF you max charge the car which you should only do for road trips or you actually need those extra miles.
2)that really all depends on how you drive. *most* people that have Tesla’s enjoy the heck out of them so no you won’t get close to the 400 miles. There is what I call my in town Tesla where I drive spiritedly and will get about 2/3 of my range. And then there is my road trip Tesla where I drive like a little old man with AP engaged the entire trip and then yes I’ll get about 90% of my range.
So what you're really saying is... there isn't a single scenario where any of us can expect the 400 mile range.

This is what we refer to as marketing.

It's actually possible to get higher than EPA if you drive at a steady pace at 45MPH on dry level ground on a calm, warm but not hot day. You'd go crazy though.
Iirc epa is based on 55mph. But still.

here’s the point I was trying to make in my original post. The way a person drives a car. Be it an ICE or EV determine how good the mileage is.

I have. Honda Pilot. It was advertised 21 in town and 24 on freeway. I’ve never gotten better than 19mpg. Not one time. But then I have a lead foot.

engaging AP or even TACC on a highway takes our personal foot out of the equation. My particular MS had a max charge of 243. (That’s today after 6 years and 71k on the odo) my recent road trip I went 227 miles and arrived with 3 percent left. I *could* have potentially gotten another 9 miles. But that was flat road between Idaho and Arizona and it was around 75-80 degrees out. So was ideal.

same scenario around town and a complete opposie on my part. Drove 206 miles and arrived home with 0% (don’t ever do this)

could you get more than 400. Sure. But again. Max charging is for road trips. Is there anyone out there that actually drives 400 miles in a given day? Plug it in and enjoy the heck out of it!!

Reactions: SilverGS
I don’t think you’re getting the straight answer here.
Under any driving that is even remotely CLOSE to “normal “ driving IE the speed limit-ish, you will get anywhere from 60%-80%, on average, of your stated range.

If my S showed 400, which it doesn’t (perf ludicrous), I would expect to, on average, get 290-330 miles out of a displayed 400. Weather, incline/decline, etc all has impact.

If you drive it really aggressively and fast in cold weather I bet you could get it down to 200 miles of range, but I also bet if my wife drove it she could get 400 miles of range...
MEH...

It kills everything else on the road for NVH and acceleration, so who cares, I also don't have to smell like a stinky gas station attendant or smell burning oil when they do the sloppy oil changes, like on my ICE.

Reactions: bhzmark and XLR82XS
If you drive it really aggressively and fast in cold weather I bet you could get it down to 200 miles of range, but I also bet if my wife drove it she could get 400 miles of range...
MEH...

It kills everything else on the road for NVH and acceleration, so who cares, I also don't have to smell like a stinky gas station attendant or smell burning oil when they do the sloppy oil changes, like on my ICE.
What is a warranty claim violation ?

022 TM AWD CT (cancelled due to warranty claim violation) -

I've always exceeded EPA rated range in my P85DL in the spring and fall on my 260 mile round trip commute. I've even made it to work and back on a single charge a few times and my EPA rated range when brand new was 253 miles.

My best ever round trip commute was 259 wh / mile average which would have been 297 miles from the 77 kWh available from the 85 when it was new.

Reactions: croman and ucmndd
I've always exceeded EPA rated range in my P85DL in the spring and fall on my 260 mile round trip commute. I've even made it to work and back on a single charge a few times and my EPA rated range when brand new was 253 miles.

My best ever round trip commute was 259 wh / mile average which would have been 297 miles from the 77 kWh available from the 85 when it was new.
Agree. In temperate CA weather at reasonable “5-10 over the limit” speeds I have no trouble getting quite close to 1:1 rated to actual miles on my normal commute.

This is in a 2016 S75. I don’t know if that’s become more difficult in newer models as Tesla has gotten a bit more aggressive about gaming the EPA test.

Reactions: croman
Agree. In temperate CA weather at reasonable “5-10 over the limit” speeds I have no trouble getting quite close to 1:1 rated to actual miles on my normal commute.

This is in a 2016 S75. I don’t know if that’s become more difficult in newer models as Tesla has gotten a bit more aggressive about gaming the EPA test.

And disclaimer, that 259 average I got was when I was really trying and sticking to exactly the speed limit which made me the slowest car on the road. A more typical 280 wh / mile is 70 to 72 in the 65.