TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does the new Model S really get 400+ miles?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mr X, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Mr X

Mr X Future Martian

Curious...

1. Does it actually show the 400 number on the range display?

2. Can you actually go 400 miles on a charge with *real world driving or nah

• Funny x 2
  2. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

1)Yes, for a few months
    2) lol

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. _jmk

_jmk Member

It looks like Tesla broke the EPA test, impossible to compare the cars & ranges now.

4. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Active Member

1)yes IF you max charge the car which you should only do for road trips or you actually need those extra miles.
    2)that really all depends on how you drive. *most* people that have Tesla’s enjoy the heck out of them so no you won’t get close to the 400 miles. There is what I call my in town Tesla where I drive spiritedly and will get about 2/3 of my range. And then there is my road trip Tesla where I drive like a little old man with AP engaged the entire trip and then yes I’ll get about 90% of my range.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. Cleo-n-Company

So what you're really saying is... there isn't a single scenario where any of us can expect the 400 mile range.

This is what we refer to as marketing.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  6. chronoreverse

chronoreverse Member

It's actually possible to get higher than EPA if you drive at a steady pace at 45MPH on dry level ground on a calm, warm but not hot day. You'd go crazy though.

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Cleo-n-Company

Yes I would. And I can't think of a single strip of road in Northern California where I could do just that.

But in your beautiful province - I'll bet there are some nice options.

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Active Member

Iirc epa is based on 55mph. But still.

here’s the point I was trying to make in my original post. The way a person drives a car. Be it an ICE or EV determine how good the mileage is.

I have. Honda Pilot. It was advertised 21 in town and 24 on freeway. I’ve never gotten better than 19mpg. Not one time. But then I have a lead foot.

engaging AP or even TACC on a highway takes our personal foot out of the equation. My particular MS had a max charge of 243. (That’s today after 6 years and 71k on the odo) my recent road trip I went 227 miles and arrived with 3 percent left. I *could* have potentially gotten another 9 miles. But that was flat road between Idaho and Arizona and it was around 75-80 degrees out. So was ideal.

same scenario around town and a complete opposie on my part. Drove 206 miles and arrived home with 0% (don’t ever do this)

could you get more than 400. Sure. But again. Max charging is for road trips. Is there anyone out there that actually drives 400 miles in a given day? Plug it in and enjoy the heck out of it!!

• Like x 1
  9. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

If you drive your car the way the EPA measures it, you will indeed get the +400 miles when new.

Other than that, the EPA is just a comparison number to let you know which of several cars you might be looking at will have the greatest range. 400 > 300.

Same with EPA gasoline rated mileages. As always YMMV.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  10. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

Maybe if we push it down a hill in neutral?

11. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Since you’re in Northern California you can get that range if you drive from Donner summit to the Bay Area :)

• Like x 1
  12. rory breaker

rory breaker Member

I don’t think you’re getting the straight answer here.
    Under any driving that is even remotely CLOSE to “normal “ driving IE the speed limit-ish, you will get anywhere from 60%-80%, on average, of your stated range.

If my S showed 400, which it doesn’t (perf ludicrous), I would expect to, on average, get 290-330 miles out of a displayed 400. Weather, incline/decline, etc all has impact.

13. Cleo-n-Company

Does it regenerate if in neutral - or only in Drive ? Just wondering out of the blue...

14. Cleo-n-Company

From Donner to Auburn - can probably get away with using 25-30 miles of range thanks to the world of regeneration. But that slog into the Bay once you're down the hill...

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

If you drive it really aggressively and fast in cold weather I bet you could get it down to 200 miles of range, but I also bet if my wife drove it she could get 400 miles of range...
    MEH...

It kills everything else on the road for NVH and acceleration, so who cares, I also don't have to smell like a stinky gas station attendant or smell burning oil when they do the sloppy oil changes, like on my ICE.

• Like x 2
  16. Cleo-n-Company

What is a warranty claim violation ?

022 TM AWD CT (cancelled due to warranty claim violation) -

17. Maxpilot

Maxpilot Member

I drove 202 miles on a fully charged battery and had 35% left when I got home. I drove 70-75 mph with a strong cross-wind. I guess that gives me a range of about 310 miles.

• Like x 1
  18. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

I've always exceeded EPA rated range in my P85DL in the spring and fall on my 260 mile round trip commute. I've even made it to work and back on a single charge a few times and my EPA rated range when brand new was 253 miles.

My best ever round trip commute was 259 wh / mile average which would have been 297 miles from the 77 kWh available from the 85 when it was new.

• Like x 2
  19. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Agree. In temperate CA weather at reasonable “5-10 over the limit” speeds I have no trouble getting quite close to 1:1 rated to actual miles on my normal commute.

This is in a 2016 S75. I don’t know if that’s become more difficult in newer models as Tesla has gotten a bit more aggressive about gaming the EPA test.

• Like x 1
  20. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

And disclaimer, that 259 average I got was when I was really trying and sticking to exactly the speed limit which made me the slowest car on the road. A more typical 280 wh / mile is 70 to 72 in the 65.