Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Newest HPWC handle 277vac?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a thread that has real answers from Tesla as far as the vehicles and with the version 2 wall connector. It has not been updated since August, though, so it probably doesn't have any information about the version 3 wall connector.

Info from Tesla - 277v feed to Wall Connector (HPWC) - Which Cars Support It

I will add a touch of information for you though. The onboard chargers in the car do have both a current limit and a power limit, and it will cap down on either one. So if you are running at 240V and 48A, that is 11.5kW, and that is about the power limit. So if you switch to a 277V feed, it will automatically lower the amps to about 41 or 42 because it won't run over that 11.5kW power level.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and MXLRplus
Thanks!

I almost got stuck today using the J1772 adapter at work. It was done charging but would not release. So I tried to release it with Cell App. No luck. Then I tried to pull up the CHARGING menu in the car. The menu would not launch after many tries. I rebooted the car. Now I can get the Charging Menu up. I push Unlock port, and it releases and relocks in 2 seconds or less. So it becomes a race. I push then leap, push then leap, and on the 4th try I got it out.

So no more J1772 adapter. Too risky.

Thanks!

I almost got stuck today using the J1772 adapter at work. It was done charging but would not release. So I tried to release it with Cell App. No luck. Then I tried to pull up the CHARGING menu in the car. The menu would not launch after many tries. I rebooted the car. Now I can get the Charging Menu up. I push Unlock port, and it releases and relocks in 2 seconds or less. So it becomes a race. I push then leap, push then leap, and on the 4th try I got it out.

So no more J1772 adapter. Too risky.
Learn "the technique".
J1772 plug handles have a physical release latch button on them. When you press that, it sends a signal through the communication pin into the car to tell it to stop charging and unlock the port. Press AND HOLD that latch button. That will keep the car keeping the port unlocked. Then with your other hand, grab the adapter, and then pull BOTH out together as one piece. Easy and works every time.

If you don't, then yes, I've also frequently had trouble if I just press and release that latch button, and then the car's port decides to relock almost instantly and grab my adapter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus