Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the octo-valve improve range in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is being done is something a little different than I've ever seen. Anytime the temperature is less than -10C refrigerant is being circulated through the compressor and it's absorbing heat only the compressor is adding to it due to essentially the friction heat loss of the compressor and then that heat is absorbed through the cycle and starts all over again. COP is always 1 in this type of heating. The other way heat is created is through the low voltage element heating for cabin but it doesn't appear that that is used to heat the battery. So when the temperature is less than -10C its not much, if anymore efficient than element unless the motor and electronics produce tons of waste heat which i have a hard time thinking they do. The big gain is cool weather, not cold weather. The other thing is ability to store heat from cabin In the battery then use it again. I live in frigid area in the winter. Will be interesting to see how it does. Another thing to take note of is the heat pump everyone seems to think will save the world is only used down to -10C in this vehicle. Anytime below that is not getting heat from the atmosphere but is using waste heat from the drive components or simply using waste heat from the compressor to generate warm refrigerant for the cycle.
I'm wondering though, just like they can run a 'non-motive' waveform to the stators to generate heat, might they not be able to do the same with the compressor- make it 'run hotter' at some times.