Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the P3D - still exist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bizarre. But nice for you!
It happened a fair amount with the P- that were built on speculation. I assume that it was either Tesla trying to increase sale price or that they just had more 19" rims than 18" rims in inventory and were using the spec build to use up and balance their parts inventory.

If you were buying a P- without ordering you just took the closest you could get on the options they built with, like a traditional automobile dealership.

Reactions: Tomc62
It happened a fair amount with the P- that were built on speculation. I assume that it was either Tesla trying to increase sale price or that they just had more 19" rims than 18" rims in inventory and were using the spec build to use up and balance their parts inventory.

If you were buying a P- without ordering you just took the closest you could get on the options they built with, like a traditional automobile dealership.

The vast majority (at least based on what I read here) were with 18s. Who even knows what happened behind the scenes at Tesla...

The "orderable" P3D- from 2018 was 18s only

The 2019 "these just show up in inventory occasionally" P3Ds appeared with both 18s and 19s, and you had to pretty much take whatever you could get.

I don't recall if the 2020 P3D- for the brief time it was orderable (at the same price as a P3D+ so dunno if anyone actually ordered one) let you pick 19s or not... kind of inclined to say no but not certain.

The 2019 "these just show up in inventory occasionally" P3Ds appeared with both 18s and 19s, and you had to pretty much take whatever you could get.

I don't recall if the 2020 P3D- for the brief time it was orderable (at the same price as a P3D+ so dunno if anyone actually ordered one) let you pick 19s or not... kind of inclined to say no but not certain.
I recall that when you unselected the Performance Package the wheels went back to the Aero wheels, which are 18s. But I'm also not sure if there was another option for 19s or not. I want to say no as well.

In Nov-Dec 2019 - there were quite a few P3D-'s to choose from - both 18's and 19's. Not only did Tesla just dump a lot of P3D-'s into inventory early Nov., but it had a lot of "pre-production" P3D-'s that had not yet been built, but would be. I just got lucky and finally got a P3D- in my preferred color and 18's.

As far as I remember, no one ordered a stealth. People could grab a pre-production car via their SA and wait for it, but that was about it. I think Tesla had a lot of 980s sitting around and wanted to use them up. I never saw a P3D- option on the website.

I also think that the 2020 stealths were the first P3D-'s that got a "performance" VIN. The VINs for the P3D+ and P3D- are indistinguishable.

As far as I remember, no one ordered a stealth.
There were different time periods on this. Sometimes it was already built ones that you had to ask a sales rep for. Those came in 18" or 19" rims, depending on what was in inventory. At a couple points in time (including right at the start in June 2018) you could order a P-, only with 18" Aeros IIRC, on the Tesla website. There was also a period in time where you could order one to build but only [like the LR RWD at the time] by phoning in your order, I can't remember if that was 18" only or you could request 19"?

A friend of mine has the P3D- with the 19s... and it looks super.

I don't know why the 19s aren't more popular; they look great but aren't subject to the same issues as the super-low profile 20s. Especially here in the Northeast - pothole city wrecks those 20s something fierce.... not to mention they're wrapped in summer rubber, which is horrendous once the temperature dips below 40.

A friend of mine has the P3D- with the 19s... and it looks super.

I don't know why the 19s aren't more popular; they look great but aren't subject to the same issues as the super-low profile 20s. Especially here in the Northeast - pothole city wrecks those 20s something fierce.... not to mention they're wrapped in summer rubber, which is horrendous once the temperature dips below 40.

Personally I think the 18s look better (with the aero covers removed and the cap kit) while also being lighter and free- but YMMV.... totally agree on the 19s>20s though.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
As far as I remember, no one ordered a stealth. People could grab a pre-production car via their SA and wait for it, but that was about it.

In 2018 the P3D- was orderable right on the website for several months- in fact it was the standard performance model, and when ordering you could check the box to add the boat-anchor 20s, brakes, etc for $5000 more.

A few months after that they made the P3D+ the standard P and killed the P3D- entirely, you couldn't get one period. That remained true until early/mid 2019 when the first random "inventory" batch of P3D- cars showed up.

I also think that the 2020 stealths were the first P3D-'s that got a "performance" VIN. The VINs for the P3D+ and P3D- are indistinguishable.

They've always been indistinguishable from each other VIN-wise.

Before 2020 the LR AWD was also indistinguishable from the P VIN-wise.

F1AAFD92-5A74-4E22-9053-821CA43A772C.jpeg
My 2019 stealth came with 19s

In 2018 the P3D- was orderable right on the website for several months- in fact it was the standard performance model, and when ordering you could check the box to add the boat-anchor 20s, brakes, etc for $5000 more.

A few months after that they made the P3D+ the standard P and killed the P3D- entirely, you couldn't get one period. That remained true until early/mid 2019 when the first random "inventory" batch of P3D- cars showed up.

They've always been indistinguishable from each other VIN-wise.

Before 2020 the LR AWD was also indistinguishable from the P VIN-wise.

Thanks. Well, I still don't have a clue as to why Tesla isn't currently selling a P3D- at any price point. What I was firm on was that I didn't want the 20" wheels - as breaking a wheel or wrecking a tire seems of little benefit.

You have the great "plus" of EV's really excelling in performance. Why not take advantage of it. I had too many years of Porsches attracting cops like flies on sh1t. If I ever wanted to get anywhere fast, I would take the family car (usually a basic MB). Now I can get performance and not look like I have it. The 20" wheels are really not a big deal for me.

When I purchased a P3D- from general inventory, people were buying them up like you wouldn't believe. $2K was nice, but $5K or $7 would have been acceptable too. I just don't get it.

Noob asks...what's "Stealth"?
Performance DU, software acceleration setting (and Track Mode) without the PUP (Performance Upgrade Package) of 20" wheels, red brake calipers, spoiler, red underline badge, and 1cm suspension drop. AKA P- or 3DP-.

Referred to as "Stealth" because it looks just like a base AWD, or even a RWD unless you get underneath it, parked/stopped next to you until it takes off a like a rocket. :)

Thanks. Well, I still don't have a clue as to why Tesla isn't currently selling a P3D- at any price point. What I was firm on was that I didn't want the 20" wheels - as breaking a wheel or wrecking a tire seems of little benefit.

You have the great "plus" of EV's really excelling in performance. Why not take advantage of it. I had too many years of Porsches attracting cops like flies on sh1t. If I ever wanted to get anywhere fast, I would take the family car (usually a basic MB). Now I can get performance and not look like I have it. The 20" wheels are really not a big deal for me.

When I purchased a P3D- from general inventory, people were buying them up like you wouldn't believe. $2K was nice, but $5K or $7 would have been acceptable too. I just don't get it.

Probably they don't think there's enough price room for it to make sense for them today to have Yet Another Config.

Back in 2018 at launch it was $11,000 to go from LR AWD to a P3D- and $16,000 to go to a P3D+ from the LR AWD.... presumably sales data told them the P3D+ was overpriced, but they didn't see "room" to keep the P3D- around, so they got rid of it and dropped the P3D+ to the "old" P3D- price.

Today it's $8000 to go from LR AWD to a P3D+... (or $6000 from LR AWD+ to P3D+ I guess)...so even less room to slot a P3D- in there in a way that makes much pricing sense... especially given that unlike 2018, the P actually has "more expensive" hardware in it than the LR AWD (980 vs 990 rear DU) so there would be an actual manufacturing difference between them and an AWD car as there didn't used to be.

(the 2k "from inventory" 2019 P3D- was always pretty strange- it had the more expensive DU in it obvious- they didn't advertise the fact it even existed-they wouldn't take 'regular' online orders for it- and it was a no brainer over the LR AWD in virtually every case... it made no sense to exist, and sure enough eventually stopped existing, semi-replaced by the 2k AWD+, but nobodys ever given much of a satisfying reason they happened at all)