Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the paint really suck this bad???

ToothDr

Jul 25, 2021
Indiana
Just took delivery of my black MYP last week. AMAZING CAR.

I went and decided to debadge the trim badge like I do with all my cars. Heat gun and floss.

Got them all off and it pulled some of paint off with it. Unreal. Never had this happen before. Will they repair or am i better off buying some touch up paint?

qIYGGtE.jpg

Last edited:

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
Plenty of threads here about paint. I believe the consensus is the paint is just...too...fresh. The cars just aren't sitting around "curing" the way other cars do. They build/paint them, quickly put them on a truck/train, and in the hands of the consumer while the paint is just too soft. It makes sense to me

AFAIK, Tesla paint is chemically no different from any other car. It just needs the same amount of time to cure...some say at least 30-45 days, but don't quote me.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug and jpy1980

ToothDr

Jul 25, 2021
Indiana
Plenty of threads here about paint. I believe the consensus is the paint is just...too...fresh. The cars just aren't sitting around "curing" the way other cars do. They build/paint them, quickly put them on a truck/train, and in the hands of the consumer while the paint is just too soft. It makes sense to me

AFAIK, Tesla paint is chemically no different from any other car. It just needs the same amount of time to cure...some say at least 30-45 days, but don't quote me.
Well dang. Wish i would have waited. Gonna cost me a few hundred to repair this I’m sure

ucsdsig

Sep 10, 2016
Los Angeles
I went and decided to debadge the trim badge like I do with all my cars. Heat gun and floss.

Got them all off and it pulled some of paint off with it. Unreal. Never had this happen before. Will they repair or am i better off buying some touch up paint?

Yikes, sorry to see that. I had the rear stock emblems removed on my car a week after taking delivery. Fortunately didn't run into this issue. Good luck with the repairs.

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
I've always let my cars sit for 30 days before the first wash, when they were bought new.

dating back to 1980's when I bought my first new car.

don't people normally do this? hmm, guess not!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC