Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Pano roof need sunshades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a bit of an omission really when a £15K Honda Civic has them.
Not exactly expensive to engineer either.

I know in the US (no Tesla shop in th UK!) the Teslashop offer collapsible removable ones, but really - is anyone going to faff around pooping a sunshade in?

So is the Pano roof tinted sufficently that sunshades are not really required even on the brightest days, or are the sunshades a must have?

Honestly this has not been an issue for anybody I can remember. Having trawled these forums for a few years there are far more complaints about panoramic roof rattles. California and Florida, where there are many Teslas, have more intense sunlight and more heat than you typically have in the UK, and they're not complaining. I have driven 3 different Teslas (Switzerland, Las Vegas, Portland), all with the Panoramic roofs, and as a driver you don't really notice the roof.

Not an issue. Have a pano roof on my Range Rover and on the Tesla. Never feel like I'm getting baked. They use some real high quality treatment to prevent that. Trust me, it's nothing like the civic.

Even the sunroof on my Benz CLS550 was nowhere near the quality. With the shade pushed back it baked you.

Never been an issue with the Tesla.

I'm in AZ and see 110+ F (~46 C) temps each summer. No issues with the pano roof.

I did have a tint put on the windows -- before the tint went on (first ~4 days with the car), I could feel the heat radiating from the sun… Once the tint was on, no impact. I did not do any extra tint on the Pano -- the stock config has very good IR protection!

I have the sunshades and they are great. If the pano is open for ventilation (20%), they keep the cabin from being too bright. Also when camping they keep the bugs out. At car shows they get a lot of positive comments.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I know in the US (no Tesla shop in th UK!) the Teslashop offer collapsible removable ones, but really - is anyone going to faff around pooping a sunshade in?
I would definitely not poop in the sunshade. :wink:

I have the removable sunshade for the hatch and just leave it installed all the time. It helps a near-horizon sun not blind a child in a rear-facing seat. It's pretty reasonable to leave in all the time, so you could probably do the same with the roof if you're so inclined.

That said, the hatch is untinted. For the roof the only reason I can see for wanting a shade is you drive with the roof open constantly but don't want the full blast of the sun on you, or you live somewhere blazing hot like AZ and must leave the car outside or are without the ability to crack the windows.

Otherwise, the roof is already really dark. Even here in sunny CA, in my year and a half of ownership I've never wished it was tinted darker.

Living in Tucson, the sun is pretty intense, We tinted the Hatch but not the sunroof- the car cools down and quite nicely- My only complaint is the windshield could use more tinting- that's where the heat comes from while driving- not the sunroof. My advise, tint the hatch and side windows with PhotoSync. you'll be happy.

I ended up tinting all the side and rear windows. That works great and looks good. But the pano, I have left as delivered. No extra tint needed. I am in NorCal so not in a wicked climate. Cold weather would make a difference from an insulation standpoint. Bjorn Nylund has videos about that on his site.

My tinter guy specifically said that the pano roof should never have additional tint applied per Tesla recommendation. And it doesn't need it anyways.

I did have all the windows tinted and that makes a big difference. I even had the front windshield tinted with a clear tint that rejected more IR. That one is less noticeable, but there is a bit of a difference.

That's actually a clever use. But as far as heat/sunlight goes, I feel there is no need.

There probably isn't in Ontario. Texas--different story. I don't know that it makes any real difference for heat--at least not in the front seats--but for light it makes a great deal of difference..

There probably isn't in Ontario. Texas--different story. I don't know that it makes any real difference for heat--at least not in the front seats--but for light it makes a great deal of difference..

Southern Ontario does get it's fair share of heat and sunlight in the summer. I have absolutely needed the sunshade on previous cars I've owned, even though I do prefer the "open feel" most of the time, but not so with the Model S. I've driven a Model S in sunny Southern California and also didn't have a problem there. Of course, this is personal preference.

I liked the idea of the Tesla screen being a "bug screen", and also Bjorn's famous videos where he uses it to hold a piece of foam insulation in place in the winter.