Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Performance get the same range as LR with 18s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone.

If you switch out the 20 ubers to lightweight 18s would you get the same milage as a long range on oem areo 18s? The performance technically has a BIGGER battery than LR so would it actually get more?

How would the screen and remaining range adapt to 18s? Would it show the increase of range or would it be capped at the epa of the 20s, but obviously drain slower and use less wh/km?

Hey everyone.

If you switch out the 20 ubers to lightweight 18s would you get the same milage as a long range on oem areo 18s? The performance technically has a BIGGER battery than LR so would it actually get more?

How would the screen and remaining range adapt to 18s? Would it show the increase of range or would it be capped at the epa of the 20s, but obviously drain slower and use less wh/km?

If you were to put the 18 inch aeros on the Performance, the range would be the same...however, the 18 inch stock aeros don't fit. If you get lightweight wheels, you'd definitely get better city mileage but may not offer the same aero dynamics as the stock 18 inch wheels. If you get 18 inch aero type wheel like an EV01, then yes, you'd get the same range as the regular long range.

Reactions: tm1v2
The size of the wheels makes a small difference, but the tires themselves have a much larger effect on range. The stock tires that come on the 20" wheels are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which are summer tires with a very soft rubber compound designed for handling. These tires by themselves incur a 10-15% range penalty.

On 18" wheels, you can install the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires which are very efficient, or you can use other equivalent high-efficiency tires and get a lot of range added to the Performance vehicle. It will approach the range that an AWD LR will get but won't quite get there due to the inability to install the Aero wheel covers. On the P model, you have to use aftermarket 18" wheels, so you can't use the Aero covers, and you lose 5% from that.

Reactions: Aither and tm1v2
I have 18" snow tires on my M3P. My mileage has not improved from the 20" Uberturbines. It probably has to do with the cold weather and tire compound though. Range on the computer says 307 miles at 100% charge. I probably get 2/3 that in the real world though.

Attachments

• 20220212_115627 (1).jpg
    20220212_115627 (1).jpg
    955 KB · Views: 573
Reactions: XPsionic
The size of the wheels makes a small difference, but the tires themselves have a much larger effect on range. The stock tires that come on the 20" wheels are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, which are summer tires with a very soft rubber compound designed for handling. These tires by themselves incur a 10-15% range penalty.

On 18" wheels, you can install the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires which are very efficient, or you can use other equivalent high-efficiency tires and get a lot of range added to the Performance vehicle. It will approach the range that an AWD LR will get but won't quite get there due to the inability to install the Aero wheel covers. On the P model, you have to use aftermarket 18" wheels, so you can't use the Aero covers, and you lose 5% from that.
The Fast EV EV01+ wheels have 5 individually attached aero plastic piece "covers" and they make an 18" size that will fit on the Model 3 Performance with the performance brakes...They have been tested to be as efficient as the regular stock Tesla 18" wheels with aero covers...

Attachments

• EV01+.jpg
    EV01+.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 359
I have 18" snow tires on my M3P. My mileage has not improved from the 20" Uberturbines. It probably has to do with the cold weather and tire compound though. Range on the computer says 307 miles at 100% charge. I probably get 2/3 that in the real world though.
So summer 20s matches the same range as winter 18s? How cold does it get?

Thay means summer 18s would net 20% or so increase in milage. Cold weather hits 20 to 30% right off the bat.

The Fast EV EV01+ wheels have 5 individually attached aero plastic piece "covers" and they make an 18" size that will fit on the Model 3 Performance with the performance brakes...They have been tested to be as efficient as the regular stock Tesla 18" wheels with aero covers...
On 18" wheels, you can install the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires which are very efficient, or you can use other equivalent high-efficiency tires and get a lot of range added to the Performance vehicle.
The real test will be for someone to get a wheel like the Fast EV EV01+ wheels and install a high-efficiency tire like the Primacy MXM4 on them.

I was thinking of getting a set of these wheels and installing some Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires on them. They are the best low Rolling resistance winter tires I’ve been able to find so far. Trying to maximize range and not looks for the winter.

I just installed 18" wheels on my Model 3. From my home to my workplace there used to be a 30% range usage with 20" uberturbines. With 18" wheels I'm getting 27% range usage. So that is a 3% gain.
3% better than your normal 30% would make it a 10% improvement. But I'd be more interested to hear the difference in Wh/mi with the 18s. Most of the difference could be the stickiness of the summer tire vs whatever is on your new wheels too.