TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does the Performance Model 3 not come with Performance Brakes?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PhilDavid, Jul 10, 2018.

1. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I'm looking at the Model 3 online configuration options and a bit perplexed with the performance brake option. Does not performance model not by default ship with performance brakes? I don't want the larger wheels that will get chewed up on our awful streets and reduce range but I would like the performance model with performance brakes.

How would that work? I hope the performance model ships with performance brakes without requiring you to purchase less durable wheels.

2. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I don't think they can fir the larger rotors and calipers inside the smaller wheels. But this is just speculation. Granted this is typically how this sort of thing works...So HIGHLY likely IMO.

3. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

They split it into 2 tiers. The base P gets your higher acceleration. The extra $5K gets you the 20" wheels and the better calipers (and the spoiler).

It's been semi-confirmed, the 18" rims won't fit on the better "red" calipers, anyway. Unclear if the larger disks come with the base P but the calipers definitely don't.

P.S. Also not clear yet if the base P gets the raise in the speed ceiling.

4. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

5. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Are you planning to drive the car on a race track? If not the brakes won't do anything for you besides look pretty.

(if you are planning to go to a race track with it then honestly I'd say still stick to the 18s, and use part of that 5k to go with aftermarket brakes and better tires on the 18s, thus keeping more sidewall on crap street driving and more $ in your pocket.

• Like x 1
  6. rluciano

rluciano Member

The weird thing is that before splitting out the performance "upgrades", the only performance car offered said it had performance brakes and was available with the 18" Aeros or the 20" wheels. So unless the "new" performance brakes in the performance upgrades package are really new and not just red, it seems that one would be able to either put the performance brakes on a "base" performance car or put the 18" Aeros on a "performance upgrades" car.

It is all very confusing and Tesla seems to have no interest in clarifying it.

7. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Bigger brakes require 19" wheels or larger. The 20" package will come with both brakes and wheels/tires as well as new tie rods in the back. YOu can go to the Tesla store and buy wheels and tires separately for $4000 i think. Brakes though you have to buy the Performance upgrade.

If you want the big brake look, just paint them, or buy larger rotors from Model 3 | Mountain Pass Performance

They are going to set you back at least $1000 plus you can buy your own suspension if you dont want the 20's from Tesla.

They are correct though, you wont notice a difference in your braking unless you plan on tracking the car in which you will get brake fade. You can always put on more agressive pads and call it a day for street racing

8. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

For the Model S, the performance brakes work both with 19 and 21" wheels so I hope this is the case with the Model 3 as well. For where we live, the larger wheels are a huge downgrade and not practical.

It's a bit weird to not include performance brakes with the performance model, unless you also order larger wheels that might not be suitable for some areas.

9. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

Dude is not about the racing track or anything we just want to know what are we getting for 11k other than what we know.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I don't think the desire to have the best possible acceleration and braking has anything to do with driving on a race track. I bet 99.99% of Tesla customers do not drive their cars on a race track. :rolleyes:

11. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

@ryanjm do you mind asking Elon about the base performance version. If it has different brakes and suspension than the AWD version.

We are just curious about what we are getting for 11k other than same motors that the AWD has but runned harder.

12. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

They are rumored to fit the 19's just barley, but 19's are not an option currently.

13. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

When the performance option was 78k with got the choice of choosing 18" wheels or 20" for the same price. I assumed that the brakes between the two would have been the same at list for 78k...

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

There are no performance brakes on the Model S. You just get red calipers.

• Disagree x 2
  15. MP3Mike

When the performance option was $78k you paid $78k regardless of if you opted for a upgrade paint color, the white interior, or 20" wheels. So you were paying for everything, but could opt out of getting some of the things, while still paying for them.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

I agree 99.9% don't drive on a track. That was the point.

For that 99.9% the "performance" brakes and the stock brakes will give you exactly identical braking performance

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

Even Elon explicitly mentioned this- saying on twitter that outside of a race track and using performance tires nobody will notice any difference in how the different brakes perform.

So as I said, if not planning to drive on a race track, save the 5k, it won't do anything useful for you compared to buying your own better tires (which unlike the brakes WILL stop the car shorter)....and wheels if you want them, and likely for less money.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

I agree with everything.

Still, if I'm buying the performance model, I'd like to please have the performance brakes, preferably without having to get larger wheels that I consider to be a downgrade for our awfully maintained streets :D

18. MP3Mike

You keep saying that, but that is over simplifying it a lot. (If I remove the brakes but keep the tires I can still stop just fine right? Because "the brakes don't stop the car.")

I've had plenty of cars where upgrading the brakes, I.e. rotors/calipers/pads, decreased the stopping distance. The factory brakes were not able to apply more force than the tires could handle. (In one case the car came with the sport/performance package that came with upgraded suspension and sport rated tires, but the same stock braking system that came on the base car. So the tires were not the limiting factor.)

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

So the bigger question is how good are the stock AWD brakes?

• Like x 1
  20. SteveTack

SteveTack Member

If you take the standard brakes onto most tracks and heavily brake a lot, you'll cook them. AWD won't change that. If you don't take the standard brakes on a track, you'll get identical stopping power as the performance brakes with the same tires.

Think of it this way: any brakes that aren't overheated will be able to lock up the wheels beyond the tire's grip. The tires are the only limiting factor when the brakes are not overheated. You will only overheat brakes on a track.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1