Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the picture of the car with rims affect the range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Range is affected by the greater weight of the wheels and tires along with the increased tire cross section on the rears and the stickier compound used by the high performance summer tires used on the 22" wheels.

I'm going to have to disagree with other people here, maybe.

Rated Range has nothing to do with driving habits or historical energy usage of your car, in spite of what Service Center personnel might tell you. It is the EPA range of the vehicle, adjusted by the estimated existing battery capacity of your vehicle.

Cars don't know what wheels and tires are on the car, unless somebody tells them. If your car has been told it has a wheel size that affects range, then it MAY adjust the EPA range accordingly, thus changing the Rated Range. If it has been told the wrong size, I can see where that would be what is displayed on the avatar, and it may well change the Rated Range, which is just a calculation.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
No, the avatar does not affect actual range.

It does, however, affect trip calculations and range estimates when using the nav. On Model X, there is an internal flag the SC sets when you request an avatar change, which does more than just change the picture of the car on the dash, MCU, and mobile app.

For example, let’s say you have the flag set for 20” wheels, but you mount 22” wheels. When you input a destination on the nav, it will use the 20” wheels in its consumption calculations to give you an estimated SOC at the destination. What you’ll likely find is that your actual SOC upon arrival will be significantly less than estimated, because your car consumed far more energy with the heavier, wider, 22” wheels.

If you do the opposite (22” avatar, 20” wheels mounted), the car will overestimate your energy usage and, at the conclusion of your trip, you’ll end up with a much higher SOC than estimated.

Again, none of this effects actual range. It only affects the estimates given by the nav when you input a destination.

In short, ask the SC to configure the car for whichever wheels you plan on using the majority of the time.

Source: I’ve had my X configured both ways, with and without matching wheel sizes. And I’ve experience both of the scenarios described above.

This was the answer I was looking for. Thanks. I figured the avatar would affect the estimates not the true range. Will have SC adjust soon.

No, the avatar does not affect actual range.

It does, however, affect trip calculations and range estimates when using the nav. On Model X, there is an internal flag the SC sets when you request an avatar change, which does more than just change the picture of the car on the dash, MCU, and mobile app.

For example, let’s say you have the flag set for 20” wheels, but you mount 22” wheels. When you input a destination on the nav, it will use the 20” wheels in its consumption calculations to give you an estimated SOC at the destination. What you’ll likely find is that your actual SOC upon arrival will be significantly less than estimated, because your car consumed far more energy with the heavier, wider, 22” wheels.

If you do the opposite (22” avatar, 20” wheels mounted), the car will overestimate your energy usage and, at the conclusion of your trip, you’ll end up with a much higher SOC than estimated.

Again, none of this effects actual range. It only affects the estimates given by the nav when you input a destination.

In short, ask the SC to configure the car for whichever wheels you plan on using the majority of the time.

Source: I’ve had my X configured both ways, with and without matching wheel sizes. And I’ve experience both of the scenarios described above.

Reactions: jgrgnt
Nice one @jgrgnt

Just asking: Are 22" vs 20" avatar views enough different to know for sure?

Because: I have 20" sonic carbon now (from 20" standard slip stream, but 22" black at delivery), and the avatar looks correct and Nav estimates right on, all good here.

If your current avatar is either of the 20” wheels (silver or Sonic Carbon), then you should be good to go. The difference in the visual representation between the two wheel sizes should be different enough to tell, even when it’s Sonic Carbon vs Onyx.