Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the pre-Raven Air suspension have variable comfort settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Does the pre-Raven Air suspension have variable comfort settings? I have a 2016 S75D and I have tried switching the suspension from Standard height to Low height, but that does not seem to make any difference in the comfort level.

Other than auto lowering at a set speed on the highway and at a geo location to avoid hitting the car on steep driveways etc, what other features are there in the Air suspension?

One thing to note is that on vehicles with air suspension you will have less travel in the lower positions, for obvious reasons. Hence, it will appear to be stiffer and perhaps a bit bouncer.

Source: I've owned several vehicles with air suspension. The physics are the same, regardless of the badge on the back.

• Informative
Reactions: verdee
One thing to note is that on vehicles with air suspension you will have less travel in the lower positions, for obvious reasons. Hence, it will appear to be stiffer and perhaps a bit bouncer.

Source: I've owned several vehicles with air suspension. The physics are the same, regardless of the badge on the back.
On the Model S that isn't the case. At lower height settings the air pressure is less and this makes it softer. At higher height settings the air pressure is more and the ride is stiffer.

On the Model S that isn't the case. At lower height settings the air pressure is less and this makes it softer. At higher height settings the air pressure is more and the ride is stiffer.
It lowers the pressure to lower the ride height, but that has the effect of reducing the available compression for the suspension. So, if you do end up hitting a bump it will be quite jarring compared to the standard ride height.

Reactions: popgodazipa

I’m quoting myself here, but the original point remains. The ride is stiffer, and less comfortable at either high or low ride height compared to normal. We’re quibbling over semantics and missing the original point.