Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the rim (not size) make any difference in the ride quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I recently traded in a 2016 85D for a new 2020 Long Range Model S with staggered 21" Twin Turbines with Continental ContiSportContacts. The 2016 85D originally had non-staggered 21" Turbines with Continental ContiSportContacts. Through the referral program I obtained 21" Arachnid rims with Pilot Super Sport tires (acoustic version) and replaced the Turbines, since I like the look of the Arachnids better. I really didn't notice much of a difference in ride or cabin noise between the two on the 85D but kept the turbines in case I sold the car.

I just took delivery of the 2020 Model S and after a couple days driving around town in the new 2020 Long Range with the 21" Twin Turbines and Continental tires, I decided it was time to switch them out for the Arachnids with the SuperSport tires. WOW, the difference in noise and ride quality was huge and not in a good way. The Arachnids with the SuperSport tires rode extremely rough with tons of cabin noise. The difference was substantial enough that I contemplated returning the car under the 7-day return period, thinking there must be something wrong with the suspension. My 2016 85D rode much better on the exact same tires and rims. Before going to that extreme and returning the car, I decided to put the original Twin Turbines back on to see if possibly it was the rims and tires. Well, that's exactly what it was. With the twin turbines and the Continentals, the car rides amazingly smooth and quiet. Day and night difference from the Arachnids.

I was thinking about switching out the tires on the Arachnids to the continentals, but wanted opinions if this would make a difference or not before I did. Is it possible the Rims are the issue and somehow the new Twin Turbines ride better and are more quiet than the arachnids?

Thoughts?

So, I recently traded in a 2016 85D for a new 2020 Long Range Model S with staggered 21" Twin Turbines with Continental ContiSportContacts. The 2016 85D originally had non-staggered 21" Turbines with Continental ContiSportContacts. Through the referral program I obtained 21" Arachnid rims with Pilot Super Sport tires (acoustic version) and replaced the Turbines, since I like the look of the Arachnids better. I really didn't notice much of a difference in ride or cabin noise between the two on the 85D but kept the turbines in case I sold the car.

I just took delivery of the 2020 Model S and after a couple days driving around town in the new 2020 Long Range with the 21" Twin Turbines and Continental tires, I decided it was time to switch them out for the Arachnids with the SuperSport tires. WOW, the difference in noise and ride quality was huge and not in a good way. The Arachnids with the SuperSport tires rode extremely rough with tons of cabin noise. The difference was substantial enough that I contemplated returning the car under the 7-day return period, thinking there must be something wrong with the suspension. My 2016 85D rode much better on the exact same tires and rims. Before going to that extreme and returning the car, I decided to put the original Twin Turbines back on to see if possibly it was the rims and tires. Well, that's exactly what it was. With the twin turbines and the Continentals, the car rides amazingly smooth and quiet. Day and night difference from the Arachnids.

I was thinking about switching out the tires on the Arachnids to the continentals, but wanted opinions if this would make a difference or not before I did. Is it possible the Rims are the issue and somehow the new Twin Turbines ride better and are more quiet than the arachnids?

Thoughts?

This Is odd since usually the tires and rim size effect ride and sound. I know the SuperSports aren't really the quietest tires, and the Contis are pretty quiet (the contis are made of a much softer compound than the SS). For ride maybe check to see if your suspension dampening in the 2020 is set to comfort? Also as tires wear down the ride degrades and so does the sound, so it could be that you're switching from brand new Contis to older tires it seems like a drastic change, even though on the 85d it wasn't as loud as you remember. That could be because as the tires wore down in the 85d you didn't notice the gradual decrease in ride quality and sound but now that you swapped them on your new MS with brand new tires you're noticing it more.

Reactions: AMPd
This Is odd since usually the tires and rim size effect ride and sound. I know the SuperSports aren't really the quietest tires, and the Contis are pretty quiet (the contis are made of a much softer compound than the SS). For ride maybe check to see if your suspension dampening in the 2020 is set to comfort? Also as tires wear down the ride degrades and so does the sound, so it could be that you're switching from brand new Contis to older tires it seems like a drastic change, even though on the 85d it wasn't as loud as you remember. That could be because as the tires wore down in the 85d you didn't notice the gradual decrease in ride quality and sound but now that you swapped them on your new MS with brand new tires you're noticing it more.
With the suspension dampening, I've noticed its more about rebound than quietness. The comfort setting only increases the feeling of "floating" vs increase ride quality. I've considered that the brand new tires could be the reason for the difference in ride quality and noise but its such a substantial difference that it seems unlikely. I've read numerous threads in which people rate the SS much better than the Conti's even for ride quality.

I would think a lighter rim (less unsprung mass) should jolt the car less when hitting bumps.

Tire pressure is probably the most critical factor, however. If that is equal between the tire sets, it could be that the Michelin tires have less sidewall flex than the Continentals.

If anything, the arachnids should improve ride quality over a heavier wheel, all else being the same. In this case, the tires are also different, and tires generally make a bigger difference in ride quality than wheels. They are the only thing in contact with the road, so tread noise is completely tire dependent. Lighter wheels are indeed easier for the suspension to damp, and therefore they will remain in contact with the road more often and feel less harsh.

New tires have more cushioning ability (thicker tread), Lighter wheels have less unsprung weight. Smaller wheels allow for more sidewall height (more cushioning). Tire construction can help or hinder cushioning (e.g. stiffer belts). Lots of variables here. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
UPDATE --- So, after about 4000 miles driving on the Arachnids with the Super Sports, I decided to put ContiSportSilents on the Arachnid Rims... HUGE difference, day/night! The Rims were not the problem but the tires. I do notice some wheel slip during full acceleration with the ContiSports vs the Super Sports but the noise difference is worth the tradeoff.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I will say that when I replaced my Super Sports with new Super Sports, I also noticed a night-and-day difference. I am not sure when during the wear cycle of the old tires they started getting louder; it happens so gradually. Looking back, I’ve always thought the Super Sports were pretty loud over most of their life, so it must have happened pretty early. All I can say is the new Super Sports are way way quieter. So the age/tread depth of a tire has a lot to do with it, too.