Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the roadster have power steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search, and found a post that implied the roadster did not have power steering, but it wasn't very explicit.

I drive an MR2 Spyder, which absolutely does not need power steering, but has it anyway...and so I was wondering - did they juice the roadster's steering rack?

Awesome - thanks for the responses. I prefer manual steering as well as most of you, and have been planning to convert the MR2 to manual steering.

I assume the S will have power steering (holy $#!* those wheels are gigantic) - wonder how much that will hurt mileage...

Heh, no mention of that, but yeah, looking at them, I wouldn't take them over 80 in heavy rain. They may not be racing slicks, but there isn't a whole lot of depth to the pattern, they look like they'll plane really well.

They did, however, do just fine on wet mountain roads.

It's something I can inquire further about when I go back in when my black wheels come in.

You're right, didn't notice that. I don't think they're that bad - I don't think I'll worry about getting up to 65mph with them in the rain. I figured I'd just take the typical light sports car, wide tires and rain precautions.
2f0c0032d8c64dfbbd51036de7bb7e51

Last edited:
Heh, no mention of that, but yeah, looking at them, I wouldn't take them over 80 in heavy rain. They may not be racing slicks, but there isn't a whole lot of depth to the pattern, they look like they'll plane really well.

They did, however, do just fine on wet mountain roads.

It's something I can inquire further about when I go back in when my black wheels come in.

Just remember that higher pressure in the tires helps reduce hydroplaning by creating a smaller patch on the road. For the rainy day, I would take the pressures up a little over the recommended range pressures of 30 PSI front/40 PSI rear.

After the temperature rise from driving, if the pressure goes over 50 PSI, the warning screens are pretty annoying. To avoid this and to stay safe, I would not put more than 45 PSI in the tires when cold.