TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does the roadster have power steering?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by walk_n_wind, May 6, 2009.

1. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

I did a search, and found a post that implied the roadster did not have power steering, but it wasn't very explicit.

I drive an MR2 Spyder, which absolutely does not need power steering, but has it anyway...and so I was wondering - did they juice the roadster's steering rack?

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

No power steering. But I drove it and it really did not need it - even for a U-turn.

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

On my drive I never noticed that it didn't have power steering. I did like the road feel. I consider the lack of power steering a positive, but I'm a bit of a sports car performance purist.

4. graham

graham Active Member

The non-powered steering in the Roadster actually feels quite good on the road. The lack of power is mostly noticeable at very low speeds moving in and out of a parking space - but even that is not horrible.

5. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Awesome - thanks for the responses. I prefer manual steering as well as most of you, and have been planning to convert the MR2 to manual steering.

I assume the S will have power steering (holy $#!* those wheels are gigantic) - wonder how much that will hurt mileage...

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think the low speed steering might take a little more effort if you get the sport tires.

7. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I've got the sport tires, and getting around the parking lot is a bit of an arm workout - getting used to it, though. But I absolutely love that there is no power steering! I, too, am a purist.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Helps keep those muscles in shape.

9. Alpine Driver

Alpine Driver Member

SByer,

question to the performance tires: is it true that there is a manufacturer suggestion not to go faster than 80km/h with them in the wet? Did Tesla mention anything in that way when they handed out your car?

10. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Heh, no mention of that, but yeah, looking at them, I wouldn't take them over 80 in heavy rain. They may not be racing slicks, but there isn't a whole lot of depth to the pattern, they look like they'll plane really well.

They did, however, do just fine on wet mountain roads.

It's something I can inquire further about when I go back in when my black wheels come in.

11. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

isn't 80 kph more like 40 mph or do I have my conversions backwards ?!?!?! :eek:

12. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

80 kph = 49.7 mph

13. SByer

SByer '08 #383

#13 SByer, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
    You're right, didn't notice that. I don't think they're that bad - I don't think I'll worry about getting up to 65mph with them in the rain. I figured I'd just take the typical light sports car, wide tires and rain precautions.[​IMG]

14. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Just remember that higher pressure in the tires helps reduce hydroplaning by creating a smaller patch on the road. For the rainy day, I would take the pressures up a little over the recommended range pressures of 30 PSI front/40 PSI rear.

After the temperature rise from driving, if the pressure goes over 50 PSI, the warning screens are pretty annoying. To avoid this and to stay safe, I would not put more than 45 PSI in the tires when cold.