Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the S have more "pull" at higher speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanna live in these magical places where a vehicle’s ability to legally and safely accelerate from 100mph to 300mph is utilized so frequently that its worth caring about.

Do share!
Germany's Autobahn. Yes, I'm lucky! I limit myself to about 140mph with the winter tires (new P3D) at the moment though. Max is more ~155mph instead of 300mph of course, but it's still plenty.

At 95mph (~autopilot max), I'm an obstacle.

But downshifting is so much fun.
Yes it is, just last night an R8 was following us, son driving, onto the freeway. R8 was way too close so son decided to dust him. Son was going only 45 mph and listening as we finished the turn on to the freeway onramp. The R8 shifted up at 50 mph and son knew he had won before the race started. The R8 shifted back down and tried, but we were 3 car lengths ahead and leaving quickly.

I'm considering coming to Tesla. My last 3 cars are a 911 Turbo, Stage 1 RS7 and currently a 2010 manual V10 R8. As you can see, I like the torque of the turbos and/or a large N/A motor for that low end torque.

With that said, I thought a Model 3 Performance would be sufficient, and don't get me wrong, at low speeds, it is, but when cruising on the freeway at say 70-75+ and you gun it, it loses its "pull".

I know the S Performance is quite a bit faster, but will that only impact the lower speeds or higher speeds as well?

I don't track data or stats, but I can share my experience if it helps you. Surprisingly, reading people's comments based on feel and perception turned out to be pretty accurate in my view.

I had an Insane P85D and now the P100DL. I've driven the M3P. In my attempt to explain it as concisely as possible:

• P85D: Most violent feel of 0-30mph, including over the P100D. You feel it taper off after 30-40mph (but still very fast). Over 70mph you could feel it lose out on power a bit, especially compared to lower speeds.
  • M3P: Seemed smooth and quick. I launched it back to back with my P85D and both myself and my passengers thought the P85D felt a lot faster. Probably due to the 0-30mph violence. Didn't test it at higher speeds so can't comment.
  • P100DL: It has this weird, very, very smooth acceleration. But it just doesn't let up. It felt like it accelerated just as much from 0-30 and 30-60, which led it to be a bit scarier for passengers. I know we are talking only a few seconds total here, but in the P85D launch to 60, you get used to the feeling at 30mph or so. In the P100DL, you feel like it's getting faster. And on the freeway, I haven't pushed it past 90 but when I needed to accelerate to change lanes, etc. the 60-90 pull was impressively instant.

Aside from pull and acceleration they are still very different cars. I find myself enjoying the drive on my wife's 3 a lot, even though it's just an SR+...for a variety of other reasons.

Reactions: JamstationP85D
OP welcome to the future of driving. Unlike ICEs, BEVs will treat you to a punch every time you depress that pedal. Oh sorry, unless you get one those quota models with the giant high inertia electric motor cannibalized from a Diesel-electric locomotive.

Not sure anybody in a 2016 P100D gives a hoot about efficiency since all of them Supercharge for free.
I would buy the lowest priced P100D you can, or wait for the plaid addition which will run 9s and make all Ravens and P100D less desirable. I've still yet to see anybody in a Raven surpass what the "old" induction front motor P100D did in Motor trends 10.50 in the quarter mile.

2017 Tesla Model S P100D First Test: A New Record -- 0-60 MPH in 2.28 Seconds! - Motor Trend

Why would you think all 2016 P100Ds supercharge for free? Thats not correct. Anyone that bought one recently can tell you that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cory151
I think people underestimate the p100d at high speeds because they compare it to its own performance at low speeds, because it's so stupid fast there. High end porsches and lambos and corvettes will win easily at those speeds, but the S isn't slow at all.

Love this comment :) - you also have to acknowledge that the Tesla(s) are cheaper, far more fuel efficient, and seat 5 people + luggage.

Why would you think all 2016 P100Ds supercharge for free? Thats not correct. Anyone that bought one recently can tell you that.

Were your parents married barefoot? It's on the website.
Anything delivered before Jan 1st 2017 also qualifies.

Supercharging.JPG

Last edited: