Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Tesla Battery Cost Effective?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hadoo

May 9, 2016
china
I have heard a lot about its fuel cost effectiveness of Tesla electric cars. I read in the data sheet that the battery cycle life is about 500 cycles (nominal cycle life for most of 18650), Each cycle drives the car about 400 Km (nominal range).
Then it expected for the car to travel 250000 Km without needing the battery replacement. Off course for a daily uses of 80 Km (Fairly long distance) Each month will be 2500 Km and the battery will do the job for complete 8 years. It looks wonderful.
But let us have a closer look. 70 Kw battery pack price is about +24000 us$. It means that the battery wear rate is about 10$ per 100 Km. It added to the electricity coast. Its look awful.
Tesla motors tries to develop the luxury expensive cars to hide the battery pack costs. I think this approach can not be spreads toward the normal cars. Because it is not economical effective. I think it can be used just by ones who don't cares about the economy.

• Disagree
Reactions: rypalmer
welcome to the forums but please use the search function and try to see what others have posted regarding short and long term value of the battery.

the basic answer is that the lifetime value of the battery consists of 1. value as a car battery + 2. value after use as a car battery + 3. recycling value. plus you are also assuming a $24,000 replacement cost for a 70Kwh battery pack in 8 years

Do you mean that recycling value and after use value can compensate the its high prices?
The best way to think about is is to compare it to the Prius battery. Initially when the Prius came out you saw quotes for $8K. By the time anyone had to purchase a battery it was $2500.

Also the Model S battery isn't going to fail at 8 years any more than the engine in an ICE is going to fail at 36,001. Eight years is just the warranty period.

• Informative
Reactions: hockeythug
The best way to think about is is to compare it to the Prius battery. Initially when the Prius came out you saw quotes for $8K. By the time anyone had to purchase a battery it was $2500.
That was just FUD. IIRC the replacement cost started out around $4000. Nowadays the least expensive is well below $2000.

Your second statement is spot on: warranty period is typically much less than useable life.