Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Tesla Navigation system correctly distinguish the upper and lower decks of the GW Bridge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
We are from the Boston area and do not often travel through New York City, and have only used the Tesla Navigation system for two crossings of the Hudson on the George Washington bridge, one of them yesterday. Going north on a trip from Philadelphia back to our home, the Nav system told us to take the GW Bridge (and Google maps agreed). As we approached the bridge, the system specifically directed us to the upper deck, despite the fact that the electronic message signs along the approaches indicated a longer travel time for the upper deck. Since we are not from the area and aren't familiar with the connections at the end of the bridge, we were worried that we might not be able to follow the directions to the Henry Hudson parkway if we took the lower deck, so we stuck with the Nav system.
Later I wondered if the Nav system can even distinguish between the upper and lower decks in terms of traffic and travel times. Given that I do not know how the nav system gets its traffic data, it seems possible that the nav system can only see the bridge as a whole and not one deck vs. the other, at least for traffic.
Anyone know for sure if the Nav system can indeed distinguish the two levels for travel times? (Apparently it does from a map standpoint.)

(And by the way, it turned out the bridge was a mess and we'd have been better off taking the Tappen Zee bridge as we did on the way down. Next time we will!)

I do not think the nav is able to make such determinations based on location however the traffic based nav, depending on what you have it set at, could provide a more expedient choice to which level to use.
FWIW: the exits can be accessed from either level and my personal experience is that the lower level usually moves a bit better than the upper.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Yeah, I do GW bridge crossings all the freaking time. Going south into NJ, I usually take the upper level because to take the lower level requires crossing several lanes of traffic leaving the HHP (far left lane to far right lane to the lower deck, it's about a 200 yard stretch) -- if there's any amount of traffic, this is pretty difficult, so I don't attempt it in the Tesla.

Going north, I always take the lower level. First, it seems to be consistently better traffic wise. Second, no trucks are allowed on the lower deck.

Taking the HHP north is always the best route to New England from the GW bridge. Most GPSs try to take you to 95/Cross Bronx Expressway, which is NEVER the way to go!

Important tip here to remember: When on the lower deck of the GW heading north, the exit for the HHP is in the far left lane. From the upper deck, it's in the far right lane.

edit: To answer your question, I don't think the GPS knows specifically about the upper and lower levels, but it certainly knows the routes and traffic of each individual approach to the bridge, so it should be able to direct you appropriately.

• Informative
Reactions: David29