Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Web Browser just not work??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Xs web browser is so insanely slow - whether it's the att 4g or Wi-Fi at home in the garage. minimum 2-3 mins to load a page, and once it loads clicking on a hyperlink on the page results in another 3 min wait. why is it so slow? Also, I've never gotten a video to play.

It works but just insanely slow in yesterday's standards. This is from a tech company who emphasizes on innovation.

The web traffic goes through Tesla's VPN so they can compress and filter the contents further. Videos are blocked because you can't play video on infotainment in the US while in motion. But yea even when it's not in motion it doesn't work.

I think that's why they removed it from the Model 3. Typical Tesla move. Instead of fixing/improving something they just removed it (ex: complex summon for AP1). Not saying they do this on every feature but this is just one of them.

nope, web traffic does not go to vpn, it goes directly to destination (unless the destination is inside the vpn, then it's just blocked).

I'm pretty sure when you're on 3G/LTE traffic does go through their proxy servers since they're footing the bill, but wifi access is direct. Just go to any IP address checker while on cellular and see if it's an AT&T endpoint or not (in the US).

I suspect the original idea of LTE on the car was to provide support, updates and other car functions. Someone probably said "ah sure we'll throw in a browser as well" and off they went. Having a full browser that is fast and responsive, means people will use it a lot more and therefore the cost of providing the LTE/3/4G network goes through the roof. I can understand them removing it from the M3.

Whatever it does it's terribly slow and no YouTube...

I'm pretty sure when you're on 3G/LTE traffic does go through their proxy servers since they're footing the bill, but wifi access is direct. Just go to any IP address checker while on cellular and see if it's an AT&T endpoint or not (in the US).
Hank - I'm not sure what you just said here. I am fixen-to install a dash cam that wants to talk via wi-fi to the cloud and upload its recordings. Can this traffic (a Blackvue IP address) be directed thru the browser? And if I can't use the Tesla browser (upload during the quiet of the night while plugged in and being blanked by my home wi-fi) - can you offer any advice as to how to best outfit my dashcams' need to talk to the cloud?

Hank - I'm not sure what you just said here. I am fixen-to install a dash cam that wants to talk via wi-fi to the cloud and upload its recordings. Can this traffic (a Blackvue IP address) be directed thru the browser? And if I can't use the Tesla browser (upload during the quiet of the night while plugged in and being blanked by my home wi-fi) - can you offer any advice as to how to best outfit my dashcams' need to talk to the cloud?

The browser and 3G/LTE or wifi access in the car is entirely independent from any dashcam connection to your home wifi. Your dashcam can not use the car's 3G/LTE connection to upload videos to the cloud.

In other words, think of the browser in the car and it's internet connection as a closed black box. Your dashcam can not interface with it in any manner whatsoever.

But just to make it more complicated for you, I think it's possible for some dashcams to offer their own Wifi hotspot, which your car could connect to, and in theory, use the car browser to connect to the dashcam's web interface. But at that point, the car browser is so slow and incapable, I'm not sure what you're be able to do. I haven't really heard of anyone doing that, though, since it's pretty pointless since you have the dashcam mobile app to change settings and review videos.

Last edited:
I don't think so.

screen-cid.jpg

Granted the IP address is not AT&T, but it's not Tesla either. Additionally on the car you can check the routing table and see that only Tesla internal networks are routed inside of the VPN, everything else goes into the wwan0 interface directly.

Yeah, it's not going to resolve to Tesla internal networks.. Last time I checked it was a Jasper network. They've changed proxy providers over the years. If it's not AT&T, how does it get to XO Comm?
for all I know they might be using a Virtual network mobile operator that rides on top of the AT&T network instead of contracting with AT&T directly, so they will have a different access point and they might play proxy games and whatnot at the other end of it.
The web traffic does not go into VPN, this I can assure you of and that's what you seemed to assert initially.

Embarrassing

Good word for it.

It is essentially worthless.

That goes too far for me. I use it a lot. It loads the New York Times, Washington Post, my local news sites, traffic webcams, waze for Tesla, etc. slow but fine. For some reason CNN does not load at all so I don't have it bookmarked anymore. It also loads my ip cams and shows live (albeit choppy) video. I can see the tree branches swaying in the wind, the choppiness of the lake, snowfall, etc. If I look on my phone, it could cost me $500 and 3 points. No thanks.

Also, when I'm driving, it's not like I'm sitting at my desk, so the fact that it's slow, while inexcusable, doesn't make it "essentially worthless" to me. I use it a lot and upgraded my vehicle to LTE since every lit bit helps.

This is a good webpage for the browser:

teslapage.com Portal

Someone posted this here, and I used it full screen when my taking my wife out for her birthday:

http://haleslaw.com/candle/candle.htm

So it does have a lot worth, for me at least.