TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does the Windshield Glass tint?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by X Fan, Sep 29, 2015.

1. X Fan

X Fan Member

Open glass could be Impactful to drivers in climates with intense sun ( ie Florida, the South ). Does the glass have a darker tint mode?

2. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

There was no mention of it

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I am wondering about that too.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Yes, it's mentioned in some of the media initial pieces, and can be seen in some of the videos.

Similar concerns came up with the Model S's panoramic roof. The glass is gradually tinted as you move back to block both visual light (to prevent harsh glare from the sun) and harmful UV rays.

5. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

You can always tint inside of windshield w 75% that looks clear, but blocks out the heat.

6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Front windshields in all cars are laminated glass, which even though are clear block 99.9% of UV.

7. Zoltrix77

Zoltrix77 Member

All auto glass is 99.9% UV Blocked. Try sitting your arm in the sun and wind the window down on an non-tinted window. You can feel the burning instantly.

Tint is not required for any other reason than aesthetics and glare.

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not true. Side windows on most cars are just tempered glass, which only blocks 50 - 60% of UV.

Only the front windshield, sunroof, and the rear hatch glass on Model S are laminated and 99.9% UV blocking.

Main advantage of tint is IR heat rejection, and full UV protection on side windows.

9. Cyberax

Cyberax Member

ALL window glass blocks harmful UV (UVB and shorter UVA). It doesn't need to be thick or tempered - that's a property of silica. There's absolutely no need for tinting for UV protection in _any_ car on the market.

Case in point - myself. I get sunburned very easily (an hour in direct sunlight without a sunscreen is enough for me), yet I never had any problems with sunburns in cars even during multi-day trips under desert sun.

10. JustinA1

JustinA1 Member

Speaking of windshield glass...

section-checkerboard-bigsky.jpg

11. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Looks like the top part is tinted some.

- - - Updated - - -

There's no mention of many features. LED headlights anyone?

12. X Fan

X Fan Member

True & thanks....asked another way will new windshield pano glass have a method to shut out the light? My wife often prefers to drive in a darker cabin.

13. P90D

P90D Member

The wiring is noticeable and a bit disappointing. I guess they tried to fit the camera wiring into embedded copper but couldn't make it work. I think the openness is unremarkable and the hanging mirror makes it all a bit of a waste, especially since the car still has full-sized door mirrors and I think a full "head up" display solution should have been part of the final design.

14. James Anders

James Anders Member

So what about sun visors? Will it have them? Will they be 18 inches high? Heh heh.

15. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

#15 Aljohn, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    It was a bit difficult to see at night during the test rides. however, the windshield is gradually tinted from where it would normally end and progressively tinted more to almost dark at the top. best could "observe" without sun lite.

The sun visors fold to the side of the driver and passenger windows. Yes, they are there.

16. fderheide

fderheide Member

Delete

can I get the rear view mirror "delete" option? So far it's the only thing that bugs me. What is the wire purpose?

17. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The rear view mirror contains a forward facing camera that needs to be connected to the car's computer system.

18. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Too bad they couldn't power and connect to the forward camera using something transparent like indium tin oxide wiring on the glass. Now that would be pretty sweet.

19. flar

flar Member

Perhaps put the cameras on the B pillar cross beam and then project a virtual rear view onto the windscreen at approximately the same position as a normal rear view mirror...

20. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Why couldn't they have 1 camera on each of the A-pillar, and the rear view mirror was just that no electricity needed. Then you would have stereo vision and the cameras could be making the field of view for the camera so much larger.