Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Windshield Glass tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Open glass could be Impactful to drivers in climates with intense sun ( ie Florida, the South ). Does the glass have a darker tint mode?

Yes, it's mentioned in some of the media initial pieces, and can be seen in some of the videos.

Similar concerns came up with the Model S's panoramic roof. The glass is gradually tinted as you move back to block both visual light (to prevent harsh glare from the sun) and harmful UV rays.

Yes, it's mentioned in some of the media initial pieces, and can be seen in some of the videos.

Similar concerns came up with the Model S's panoramic roof. The glass is gradually tinted as you move back to block both visual light (to prevent harsh glare from the sun) and harmful UV rays.

Front windshields in all cars are laminated glass, which even though are clear block 99.9% of UV.

All auto glass is 99.9% UV Blocked. Try sitting your arm in the sun and wind the window down on an non-tinted window. You can feel the burning instantly.

Tint is not required for any other reason than aesthetics and glare.

Not true. Side windows on most cars are just tempered glass, which only blocks 50 - 60% of UV.

Only the front windshield, sunroof, and the rear hatch glass on Model S are laminated and 99.9% UV blocking.

Main advantage of tint is IR heat rejection, and full UV protection on side windows.

ALL window glass blocks harmful UV (UVB and shorter UVA). It doesn't need to be thick or tempered - that's a property of silica. There's absolutely no need for tinting for UV protection in _any_ car on the market.

Case in point - myself. I get sunburned very easily (an hour in direct sunlight without a sunscreen is enough for me), yet I never had any problems with sunburns in cars even during multi-day trips under desert sun.

Speaking of windshield glass...

section-checkerboard-bigsky.jpg

All auto glass is 99.9% UV Blocked. Try sitting your arm in the sun and wind the window down on an non-tinted window. You can feel the burning instantly.

Tint is not required for any other reason than aesthetics and glare.

True & thanks....asked another way will new windshield pano glass have a method to shut out the light? My wife often prefers to drive in a darker cabin.

The wiring is noticeable and a bit disappointing. I guess they tried to fit the camera wiring into embedded copper but couldn't make it work. I think the openness is unremarkable and the hanging mirror makes it all a bit of a waste, especially since the car still has full-sized door mirrors and I think a full "head up" display solution should have been part of the final design.

It was a bit difficult to see at night during the test rides. however, the windshield is gradually tinted from where it would normally end and progressively tinted more to almost dark at the top. best could "observe" without sun lite.

The sun visors fold to the side of the driver and passenger windows. Yes, they are there.

Last edited:
Perhaps put the cameras on the B pillar cross beam and then project a virtual rear view onto the windscreen at approximately the same position as a normal rear view mirror...