Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Windshield Glass tint?

Todd Burch

Voltage makes me tingle.
Nov 3, 2009
Smithfield, VA
Open glass could be Impactful to drivers in climates with intense sun ( ie Florida, the South ). Does the glass have a darker tint mode?

Yes, it's mentioned in some of the media initial pieces, and can be seen in some of the videos.

Similar concerns came up with the Model S's panoramic roof. The glass is gradually tinted as you move back to block both visual light (to prevent harsh glare from the sun) and harmful UV rays.

EarlyAdopter

Jun 24, 2012
Redmond, WA
Yes, it's mentioned in some of the media initial pieces, and can be seen in some of the videos.

Similar concerns came up with the Model S's panoramic roof. The glass is gradually tinted as you move back to block both visual light (to prevent harsh glare from the sun) and harmful UV rays.

Front windshields in all cars are laminated glass, which even though are clear block 99.9% of UV.

EarlyAdopter

Jun 24, 2012
Redmond, WA
All auto glass is 99.9% UV Blocked. Try sitting your arm in the sun and wind the window down on an non-tinted window. You can feel the burning instantly.

Tint is not required for any other reason than aesthetics and glare.

Not true. Side windows on most cars are just tempered glass, which only blocks 50 - 60% of UV.

Only the front windshield, sunroof, and the rear hatch glass on Model S are laminated and 99.9% UV blocking.

Main advantage of tint is IR heat rejection, and full UV protection on side windows.

Cyberax

Jul 28, 2015
Seattle, WA
ALL window glass blocks harmful UV (UVB and shorter UVA). It doesn't need to be thick or tempered - that's a property of silica. There's absolutely no need for tinting for UV protection in _any_ car on the market.

Case in point - myself. I get sunburned very easily (an hour in direct sunlight without a sunscreen is enough for me), yet I never had any problems with sunburns in cars even during multi-day trips under desert sun.

JustinA1

Sep 29, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Speaking of windshield glass...

section-checkerboard-bigsky.jpg

X Fan

Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2015
Naples, FL & Cary, NC
All auto glass is 99.9% UV Blocked. Try sitting your arm in the sun and wind the window down on an non-tinted window. You can feel the burning instantly.

Tint is not required for any other reason than aesthetics and glare.

True & thanks....asked another way will new windshield pano glass have a method to shut out the light? My wife often prefers to drive in a darker cabin.

P90D

Jul 19, 2015
Silicon Valley
The wiring is noticeable and a bit disappointing. I guess they tried to fit the camera wiring into embedded copper but couldn't make it work. I think the openness is unremarkable and the hanging mirror makes it all a bit of a waste, especially since the car still has full-sized door mirrors and I think a full "head up" display solution should have been part of the final design.

Aljohn

Oct 17, 2014
Georgia
It was a bit difficult to see at night during the test rides. however, the windshield is gradually tinted from where it would normally end and progressively tinted more to almost dark at the top. best could "observe" without sun lite.

The sun visors fold to the side of the driver and passenger windows. Yes, they are there.

Last edited:

wk057

Senior Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
Hickory, NC, USA
Too bad they couldn't power and connect to the forward camera using something transparent like indium tin oxide wiring on the glass. Now that would be pretty sweet.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
Perhaps put the cameras on the B pillar cross beam and then project a virtual rear view onto the windscreen at approximately the same position as a normal rear view mirror...

Fanatic

Feb 5, 2015
Malmo, Sweden
Why couldn't they have 1 camera on each of the A-pillar, and the rear view mirror was just that no electricity needed. Then you would have stereo vision and the cameras could be making the field of view for the camera so much larger.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC