TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does this article spell trouble for Tesla Motors battery supply?

Discussion in 'News' started by tdelta1000, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

In an article on Engadget states that losses are a foot for Panasonic. Panasonic-Q3-2012

2. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I doubt it. I'm sure Tesla already has a contract for the cells they need, and Panasonic needs to move product.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Plus isn't that more related to tvs and other consumer electronics? How could this hurt Tesla?
    Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

4. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Isn't the fact that Tesla is using a commodity battery with identical form factor to other laptop batteries a strong reason not to worry about supply problems? It's true it has a relationship with Panasonic, but these batteries are produced in the billions and I'm sure Tesla has contingency plans to go to alternate suppliers on such a critical item.

Larry

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Exactly. They can easily find a different supplier of the same format cells if something happened to Panasonic.

7. 3lectronica

3lectronica Member

Tesla will start producing their own cells in a few years

8. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

That seems insanely unlikely. Why would Tesla enter a battery market that's already saturated with gigantic companies?

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Seems very unlikely. Based on what?

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Vertical integration makes no sense for auto makers. Now I can see other car makers looking at Tesla in a year or two and thinking about horizontal integration....but that's a whole different thread.

11. PeterW

PeterW Member

Isn't owning their own stores (distribution network) a example of verticle integration?

12. GSP

GSP Member

I read NigelM's comment to be mean vertical integration of cell design and manufacture, not vertical integration in general.

Tesla, and SpaceX, seem inclined to make parts in house, but their stated strategy is to buy cells.

GSP

13. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I wouldn't expect Tesla to develop their own batteries in the next few years, but wouldn't exclude that as a possibility for maybe in 10 years or so. Isn't Nissan already making their own batteries? Let's say someone with a great idea for Supercapacitors's approaches Tesla. I could imagine that Tesla might finance the research, but when it comes to production, they might license it to Panasonic or so. Just as an example. But currently they surely are too busy, besides requiring all means of investment for additional variations of the Model S platform, and eventually a high-volume manufacturing line for Bluestar.

14. GSP

GSP Member

Tesla did develop their own breakthtough battery for the Roadster, and also for the Model S. This is their greatest achievement, and still sets them apart from the competition. Who else has a 200+ mile EV?

It is the CELLS that are purchased.

GSP

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Generally, I was referring to complex components but you have a good point. The question is what will Tesla do when volume starts to ramp up. Can they really maintain selling via their own stores? Would be an interesting break from the existing model for every other auto maker.

16. kgb

kgb Member

In the future, having a battery will not be enough to differentiate Tesla from the competition (because they too will have one), what will make Tesla better is having a better battery. If TM wants to keep ahead of the curve and keep its IP out of the hands of competitors, it would be wise for them to develop and produce their own battery chemistry. I think the probability of TM making it's own batteries is about as likely as a computer company designing and making it's own silicone chips - oh wait, Apple is doing that.

17. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

There seems to be a lot of finely split hairs laying about, but if we're splitting them...

Tesla didn't develop a battery. Panasonic makes the batteries. Tesla developed a way of packaging and using them.

18. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

This should go to another thread...... None of this has to do with trouble for tesla's battery supply.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Actually if split hairs are what you are seeking then Panasonic is not making batteries, since batteries are a collection of cells, they make cells. Tesla makes batteries, and more specifically, battery packs.

20. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Ok, barring a technical definition of "battery", this is going in circles.