Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this happen to you when going N on the 405?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the spot:
405 N in the carpool lane as you are about to go under the 101 with AP active at 70-75.

Do your tires hit the reflectors and miss the barrier by about 1mm?

I keep thinking when I go there, AP will learn, AP will learn, ......AP Hasn't Learned and scares the crap out of you.

I know very very well how AP behaves and I trust it, but shouldn't it have learned by now?

BTW, my friend has the exact same experience with his as well. That's what prompted me to post.

• Informative
Reactions: Zybd1201
I'll play closer attention when I make the commute tomorrow to see what it does at that specific spot. I know there are several spots where I have to take over while in the carpool lane, both north and south, on the 405.

Here's the spot:
405 N in the carpool lane as you are about to go under the 101 with AP active at 70-75.

Do your tires hit the reflectors and miss the barrier by about 1mm?

I keep thinking when I go there, AP will learn, AP will learn, ......AP Hasn't Learned and scares the crap out of you.

I know very very well how AP behaves and I trust it, but shouldn't it have learned by now?

BTW, my friend has the exact same experience with his as well. That's what prompted me to post.

Muzzman,
Did you write up this post while in the car doing 75 on AP while 1mm from the center barrier?

Don't try self nominating for the upcoming years Darwin awards!

:D

RT

Yes. That's my commute home everyday and that happens every day. Doesn't matter if I'm going full speed or in traffic.

At that spot I always have my hands on the wheel putting pressure to the right to make sure it avoids the wall. Half the time it'll deactivate AP. What does it takes to get it to learn what to do at a particular location?

Yes. That's my commute home everyday and that happens every day. Doesn't matter if I'm going full speed or in traffic.

At that spot I always have my hands on the wheel putting pressure to the right to make sure it avoids the wall. Half the time it'll deactivate AP. What does it takes to get it to learn what to do at a particular location?

Exactly. That's what I keep doing in the hopes that one day AP will learn.

Muzzman,
Did you write up this post while in the car doing 75 on AP while 1mm from the center barrier?

Don't try self nominating for the upcoming years Darwin awards!

:D

RT
Absolutely not. lol. I'm not trying to die before self-driving is available to us.

Guys.. I have a similar situation as OP.

I have been parking my Model S every day under the same tree by my house and noticed that every single time my car ends up with bird poop.

I was rather curious so I asked my best friend from high school (because he also owns a Model S) to park his car under the very same tree and his car also ended with bird poop!

I realize that my situation is not quite as bad as OPs. Damaging the paint after all is not quite as bad as hitting a center divider in the middle of a major freeway... But could anybody give some advice here? I have no idea what to do. Please help. Thanks

Reactions: Mike K
Have not had that problem with AP (no AP) but I do get the continuous "is my suspension broken" bouncing south of Sunset to pretty much the airport. Seriously, that's a new expressway? At least when I'm going 5 mph on the 101 it's smooth.

I drive that exact segment fairly often and I've also had issues at higher speeds. But I paid more attention yesterday around 7pm in about 30-40mph traffic, in the carpool lane 405N, and NO issues anywhere near the 101. In fact, it seemed absolutely perfect.