Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this have FSD? and not the FSD subscription?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this have FSD? and not the FSD subscription?

1666303156891.png

Can't since it's for a used vehicle at a dealer lot. I called them and they said it has "full self driving". I asked for the Software Screen and they are confused. This is for a relative so I am coordinating since they are new to Tesla. I suppose I can drove down to the dealer with them.
oh ok so its from a dealership, then yes you do have full self driving. Only reason why i ask is cause you can subscribe to full self driving but in this case the car belongs to no one so its safe to assume it has full self driving

As far as I know FSD lic is ONLY transferable via a private party sale . If a dealer is selling the car, Tesla will NOT transfer the FSD lic to the buyer. So be careful these dealers don't know how it works and even if they know the truth they may not say it openly. You can of course subscribe to FSD and pay the monthly subscription fees. In short it has FSD but you may have to pay for it separately and directly to Tesla via a subscription .

• Disagree
Reactions: JBT66 and B1081358
Good points. They said it wasn't acquired from Tesla, rather it was traded in. Still looks like some risk.
This means Tesla will treat it as a 3rd party sale - meaning you did not buy it from the previous owner directly hence existing paid up license of FSD if it exists will not automatically transfer to the new buyer. There are enough posts in this forum on this topic confirming that FSD will not transfer if it is a 3rd party sale.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSteve and JBT66
This means Tesla will treat it as a 3rd party sale - meaning you did not buy it from the previous owner directly hence existing paid up license of FSD if it exists will not automatically transfer to the new buyer. There are enough posts in this forum on this topic confirming that FSD will not transfer if it is a 3rd party sale.
That's crazy! How does Tesla even know this if it doesn't pass through them? That means all these car dealers selling uses Teslas w/FSD with a mark-up are screwing customers (or at Tesla is). It's out of the control of the dealer, understood, but they shouldn't factor that into the price. This has some helpful info Tesla Full Self Driving FAQ

As far as I know FSD lic is ONLY transferable via a private party sale . If a dealer is selling the car, Tesla will NOT transfer the FSD lic to the buyer.

There's no "license" that needs to 'transfer'

FSD goes with the car.

The only time Tesla removes FSD is if tesla regains ownership of it.

THAT said--- there have been cases where Tesla took a car as a trade in, then the following happened:

Tesla flags it for FSD removal on their back end servers.
Car gets sold at auction almost immediately to a used car dealer without having talked to those servers
Car appears to have FSD when dealer gets it (and may even be advertised by that dealer that way)
Car eventually talks to the servers and FSD gets removed.
Someone writes a TESLA STEALS YOUR STUFF story about it.

This is an issue Tesla could, trivially, make impossible to ever happen on their end with like 5 minutes of IT work- Simply have a flag on any trade in car that prevent it from being resold until it does a config sync with the server... and AFTER that flag is changed to can-be-sold you lock out further changes on the back end... but they don't seem to care to bother doing it.

That's why the advice is to go private party first owner when possible since you can be SURE that Tesla never had ownership back in their hands at any point.

You can always ask the dealer if they got it from an original owner rather than an auction or something- but the used car dealer could always be lying to you about it.

Yeah, we'll need to consider this one assuming it has no FSD.

I am not in the car dealer business, but this seems like an uneven playing field. If a car is acquired by Tesla (trade in or lease return), then they have full control to add so called options like EAP or FSD or AB without any real cost to them. On the other hand, a car dealer like a local Honda dealer can't add such options. I am probably missing something here, but it seems a bit unfair. No other car manufacturer can do this, right? Like Honda or GMC, they can't acquire cars and slap on more options (for profit) and sell to the public.

No other car manufacturer can do this, right? Like Honda or GMC, they can't acquire cars and slap on more options (for profit) and sell to the public.
Sure they could, if they wanted to. In fact, virtually every dealer ever tries to do that exact thing for a brand new car, by slapping on window etching, super expensive window tint, Lowjack, extended warranties, etc.

Reactions: tm1v2
That's crazy! How does Tesla even know this if it doesn't pass through them? That means all these car dealers selling uses Teslas w/FSD with a mark-up are screwing customers (or at Tesla is). It's out of the control of the dealer, understood, but they shouldn't factor that into the price. This has some helpful info Tesla Full Self Driving FAQ
100% true. I sold my non-FSD car to a local Chevy dealer because they offered the best price. They had it listed as FSD and I had to call them to say that it wasn't. People that don't know these cars think that they autopilot/autosteering is FSD. I definitely wouldn't buy a Tesla from a used car dealer.

00% true. I sold my non-FSD car to a local Chevy dealer because they offered the best price. They had it listed as FSD and I had to call them to say that it wasn't. People that don't know these cars think that they autopilot/autosteering is FSD. I definitely wouldn't buy a Tesla from a used car dealer.

I think purchasing it from a used car dealer is fine, but for me, whether the car has "FSD" or not would not factor AT ALL into the price unless I was purchasing from a private party, who could demonstrate that they had purchased FSD from tesla and were the first owners.

Said another way, that option would have no value to me at all on a used vehicle unless I was buying from tesla itself, or from a private party who purchased the car from tesla. Otherwise, I might look for it, but I would not pay any sort of premium for such a car, and would evaluate the car deal on the price of the vehicle vs others like it, without FSD.

There's no "license" that needs to 'transfer'

FSD goes with the car.

The only time Tesla removes FSD is if tesla regains ownership of it.

THAT said--- there have been cases where Tesla took a car as a trade in, then the following happened:

Tesla flags it for FSD removal on their back end servers.
Car gets sold at auction almost immediately to a used car dealer without having talked to those servers
Car appears to have FSD when dealer gets it (and may even be advertised by that dealer that way)
Car eventually talks to the servers and FSD gets removed.
Someone writes a TESLA STEALS YOUR STUFF story about it.

This is an issue Tesla could, trivially, make impossible to ever happen on their end with like 5 minutes of IT work- Simply have a flag on any trade in car that prevent it from being resold until it does a config sync with the server... and AFTER that flag is changed to can-be-sold you lock out further changes on the back end... but they don't seem to care to bother doing it.

That's why the advice is to go private party first owner when possible since you can be SURE that Tesla never had ownership back in their hands at any point.

You can always ask the dealer if they got it from an original owner rather than an auction or something- but the used car dealer could always be lying to you about it.
I bought mine from tesla used with FSD added, the person told me it was a thank you for buying from Tesla. The price of the car was good and didn't include to 10k for FSD

I bought an X through Carvana. It ended up including FSD. The price I paid I was happy with it not coming with FSD. The listing didn’t include the software screen, and they didn’t include any language around FSD.